The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rear brake disc removal

Lee_e

Does anybody have any idea on how to remove the rear brake discs ? Couldn't find any info on the search.

Do I have to loosen the handbrake shoes or would having the handbrake off and in neutral be enough to get the disc off? .. if I have to loosen handbrake can someone tell me how please :)

Thanks peeps.

having the handbrake off should be enough to get the disks over the shoes.

You unbolt the rear caliper via the two bolts on the rear of the hub. comes off in one piece. Then the disk should be free.

If not then to loosen off the hand brake shoes, line up the hole on the hub and look through it you will see a wheel with teeth on it that moves forward and backwards, that adjusts the shoes.

:D If you handbrake is weak it may just come off, if well adjusted then you'll need to rotate the disk so a hole is right at the bottom. Shine a torch through the hole and you should see a cogged wheel (you will see it end on), a screwdriver through the hole and then lever up or down (crucially I can't remember which way loosens the disk - sorry!) the wheel and it'll 'ting' each time it rotates. Doing this the right way will bring the shoes in and allow you to remove the disk.

If you are replacing the disks and won't need them again you can get a small piece of wood and put it against the rear face and just tap it with a hammer a good few times, then rotate and repeat. If they've been on there a long time they might not want to budge so easy.

The little notch adjuster for the handbrake shoes is on the bottom centre bit, so you need to spin the disks first so that the deepest hole (usually covered with a little rubber grommet if still in place) so its visible (with a torch).

It's only something like 5 turns to adjust it enough so the handbrake shoes loose their grip, can't remember which way but I know both sides are opposite. Careful doing it too many turns though as it's a major pain in the arse (reassemble) to get it all back together.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?317271-Handbrake-adjuster