The mkiv Supra Owners Club

ANOTHER new problem, gear change

v6shep

Hello again all, so, done brakes, took it for ab oil change, now this morning a new problem arises.

My car is just ab auto N/A, on the way to work, half way there it decided that second gear is all it would reach for quite a few miles, then finally decided to change into 3rd, and that was that, so at very low speed all the way to work I was stuck at either 5+k revs in 2nd or 4+k in 3rd. It's never done this before.

On a separate note, I was also surprised when I turned up at the garage while oil change was being done, that the guy would need my fuse box cover off?!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lmao, as daft as that sounds... I guess it's happened at some point to somebody, but I didn't do it, took it to a garage, but he did put the oil where it should go and did put a fresh filter on. Although since then, it smokes and has a little splutter on start up and smells very rich. And the now gear problem. None of which happened before my oil change

Use the Check method in the tech area of the forum..

1. IE: check the fluid level on a level after going through the gears with the engine running..

2. Check to see if the Fluid is cherry red or burnt brown..

3. Im sure there are vac lines that may effect the box but cannot remember..

4.Fault code read the ECU.

5. pester David P until he comes up with a solution..

Haha thanks Matt, but how do I accomplish no.1 with an auto? Reading it is enough to confuse me

1 sec il copy the link.

EDIT

I actually cant find it but il explain...

if you look in the engine bay you will see a second dipstick further back from the engine oil dipstick if you pull it out you will see it has cold and hot maximum and minimum markers.

the reason for this is ATF fluid expands with heat hence you can check the cold minimum maximum while the car is sitting still from start up OR you can take the car for a drive and allow the box to heat up thus you would then use the Hot minimum/maximum markers.

Right now thats over all you have to do is this..

get in your car start it and use the lever to go through all the gears better I suppose if you have a long flat drive(I am aware that you cant grab all gears but just do what you can for now)

Now while the car is running put it in park and put the car on a level and check the Autobox dipstick its beside the engine oil dipstick if you have not driven the car far use the cold minimum/maximum markers to judge the level

or

If you drove the car for 10-15 minutes use the Hot markers..

also use a piece of tissue to wipe the dipstick and check the colour of the oil maybe even take a sniff and guage if it smells burnt or not..

Edited by MattP (see edit history)

The correct way to check the transmission fluid is.

1. Drive for 30 minutes using all of the gears.

2. Park up level and apply the handbrake FIRMLY.

3. Put the gearbox in drive (the handbrake will hold it).

4. Pull the transmission dipstick, wipe it, re-insert, pull again, read the level. It should be at the hot / warm marker.

5. Remember to put the gearbox back into park before you release the handbrake.

Do not try to check the level on the cold marker as it's only intended to allow you to get the level close to right when you replace the fluid and before you drive to start the hot check procedure.

Yeah cheers David P P, I wasn't meaning how to look at dipstick dipstick.

Right I'm almost home, 4k to 5k all the way.Well I've taken a little video on driving home, I'll upload soon, checked atf, looks fine.

But now, it's getting as far as 3rd, sometimes swapping itself to second, but as I let my foot off pedal then press it again, it's as if it's in neutral until it hits 3k revs then it drives again, but only if I'm lucky, up to 3rd gear, but as slowing down, goes into 2nd and sits there for ages

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and cheers matt p and chris88

Not sure if this info makes a difference, but on last bit of my drive, I thought, put manual on, go through gears, so launch, fine, shifts into 2nd nice and smooth, move it into drive, stays in 2nd. So, I'm guessing, drive position is the problem

Already had my dip stick out... It's fine, checked it at running temp, doesn't smell burnt, and looks golden treacle type colour, not black

"golden treacle colour" I do hope it has had the correct fluid put in. I would be checking the fault codes and regardless of what they are also be looking at replacing the ATF. This does the job nicely and is half the price of Toyota type iv ATF. http://www.gsfcarparts.com/980aa0471 In the list of compatible fluids on the back of the container it does show Toyota type iv as one of them. I have used it for some time now without issue.

If you have a code 42, then do a search on the pink wire mod. The pulses from the speed sensor pass through a buffer circuit in the odometer prior to reaching the ecu. This bit of circuitry causes a problem and screws up what the ecu sees. The mod bypasses it and is very quick and simple to do. But, this fault normally causes erratic shifting, and normally more noticeable at low speeds. But if you have a code 42 stored then for the sake of 10 mins, its a simple mod to do and will eliminate this known fault.

Edited by Shane (see edit history)