The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Oil analysis results

robin

As my supra approached 204 thousand miles I have been curious to see the results of an oil analysis. I was also curious to see what state the oil would be in after 18 months and 4000 miles or so, I know the manual does say to change every 6 months but I have been using reasonable quality synthetic oil and I think it is possible to eek out a bit more between changes. The oil I have been using is Gulf Formula G 5w40.

Anyway here are the results:

oilanalysis.PNG

It is worth nothing that I changed the oil when I took the sample, however from the result it might be possible to keep on up to 2 years+ and maybe 6-8k miles. Just a shame that an oil analysis costs more than an oil change!

I used these guys http://www.theoillab.co.uk/product-category/oil-testing/engine/ and did the silver package for 39.99 + VAT. It is a tough one really, no point in testing new oil as it is always going to be a good result so I wanted to leave it sometime to get some miles/age and then see how it was.

They send a syringe with tubing, small bottle and a cardboard tube to post it back in so you can just get a sample from the dipstick if you aren't draining it all.

you tell them what oil you were using and the brand etc. This helps them to know what might be an normal for the oil and what might be a problem. For example some oils use boron as an additive so its normal to see it in the oil, if your oil doesn'tuse that as an additive and there is loads in the sample it could mean there is a problem.

They also send through some guides on how to interpret the results.

Guide to Sample Report.pdf

TBN Guide.doc