The mkiv Supra Owners Club

MOT - Cats & Emissions

craig85

I took the Supra for it's first MOT with me today and surprise, surprise it failed on emissions

Fast idle 1 - CO 0.83% (0.3% max)

Fast idle 2 - CO 0.85%

Natural idle went through ok at bang on 0.5%

Anyway, my current exhaust is one piece from the 1st decat so it looks like I'll need either a 1st cat or a 2nd cat and cat back exhaust; with these readings is it likely that I could get through with one cat fitted or will both be needed?

The search button is your friend.

What are the details of your car? Age? Turbo or NA?

I have tried searching but there isn't a great deal I can find since the last major update of the MOT test, I had to use catalytic as a search term as both cat and mot are too short.

Completely forgot about the spec though! It's a 1993 TT6 with BPU - Apexi Power FC ECU, full decat and a Blitz boost controller.

My J spec as gone through last 3 with no cats at all with hks super dragger on a k 93 TT auto they do a slow and fast idol test as it don't come in to newer rules so they tell me so long as stays in the green it's all good

Last mot was a infrared gas analyser emission test

Natural idle test = pass

Fast idle test = pass

Lambda test 0.97/1.03 = 1.00 pass

Co2 under 0.20 = 0.13 pass

H/C under 00200 = 00018 pass

Hope I don't have probs with next one or I will be looking for mot cats to lol :)

This seems to be a continual problem.

My understanding is this.

If a vehicle can't be exactly matched in the emissions database, then a non cat test should be performed.

This is the case for vehicles from 1st August 1992 to 31st July 1995.

For vehicles registered between 1st August 1995 to 31st August 2002 - same although use default limits.

There is a flow diagram, and it simply will direct you to the test to carry out.

http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/htdocs/m4s07000309.htm

UK Supra's will be in the database, and Japanese imports will not.

If an exact match cannot be determined by serial number, vin detail, engine number etc etc, a none catalytic convertor test should be performed or one within default limits based on year of manufacture.

Edited by Pudsey
link added (see edit history)

I am pretty sure you are looking at the UK Supra's.

The japanese imports will not be in the database, as they were never sold in this country.

It will pull up a UK Supra 2JZ GTE, but the japanese import is not the same.

Different turbos, injectors, no EGR to name a few of the differences an import has.

I am sure an expert will be along shortly.;)

I have a UK supra with only one cat in it, the originals failed and Toyota wanted £1200 or so and I ended up with a single generic on welded in and it passes every year as long as the cat is hot enough, maybe take it for a big run then drop it in for the test?

The latest I heard with mots is if it was manufactured with a cat then it has to have one in for mot for it to even stand a chance in passing. I'm fully decated and find that just putting the second cat back on for mot is fine. Although I'm sure they have difference rules at different mot stations. I suppose it depends on how leanient ur mot tester is. I even had to put my cat back on my l200 animal which is bizarre as its a diesel!!!