The mkiv Supra Owners Club

A few questions

RobSheffield

all questions refer to import TT manual

1 - a daft/odd one to start, but do the stock twins give a 'woosh' (Whistle) when they come on boost, like a big single does?? what causes this? anyone know?

2 - can the twin setup have a 50mm HKS wastegate fitted? or is it only the singles? thinking about this i think it is an option on the bigger ones isnt it? anyone confirm that?

3 - what limits boost and power on the stock (import) twin setup? is it the ceramic turbos, or the fuel system?

4 - which is arecomended induction kit?

i am hoping to get a stock Supra and take it to a BL single, T67, with AEM and upgraded fuel. however, realistically i cant do it all at once, so was thinking, stock > HKS Ti, Induction kit, plugs > upgraded fuel and AEM > Decat > T67 (eventually)

that looks sensible to me, as at no point on my 'upgrade pathway' will anything be too far stressed. you see some people (generally in the US, before any UK members flame me!) upgrading Turbos, decating, upgrading ECU and then finally fuel.

your replies would be most appreciated - so i can set in my mind what i want to do when i finally get the car, and stop thinking about it constantly and annoying friends, family members and passers by!!!

Rob

all questions refer to import TT manual

1 - a daft/odd one to start, but do the stock twins give a 'woosh' (Whistle) when they come on boost, like a big single does?? what causes this? anyone know?

The first turbo often does make a whistling noise before the second turbo comes online. It's perfectly normal and nothing to worry about. I'd guess that the noise is caused by the airlow is being redirected into the other turbo in order to prespool it, but I don't really know.

2 - can the twin setup have a 50mm HKS wastegate fitted? or is it only the singles? thinking about this i think it is an option on the bigger ones isnt it? anyone confirm that?
I don't think you'd do it with the stock sequential set up but yes it's available on some of the single turbo kits.
3 - what limits boost and power on the stock (import) twin setup? is it the ceramic turbos, or the fuel system?
It's the exhaust and cats mostly. Remove the cats and replace the exhaust with a more free flowing one and you'll have more boost than you would sensibly want.
4 - which is arecomended induction kit?
For the stock turbos you'd do best to stick with the stock airbox and filter.

EDIT TO ADD : From seeing Bobbeh's reply I realise that I misunderstood your question #3.

The first turbo often does make a whistling noise before the second turbo comes online. It's perfectly normal and nothing to worry about. I'd guess that the noise is caused by the airlow is being redirected into the other turbo in order to prespool it, but I don't really know.
I think the noise is more the second turbo as it pre-spools rather then from the first turbo as it pre-spools the second... but that's just a guess on my part.