The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Security devices

binfieldx

I keep getting a lot of attention from mainly youngsters in the area coming to admire the supra... Has anyone invested in a wheel clamp? I've got quite a few things so far to deter thieves but you can never be too sure..

I was thinking of getting a wheel clamp but not sure how effective they are to thieves? Not sure if its worth investing in something like an automatic flood light. I was thinking of CCTV but not sure how much that would help me if the car actually was stolen or vandalised really.

I've currently got

Aftermarket alarm system + Immobilizer - both with visual presence red/blue flashing LEDS

Removable steering wheel (I also hang a disklok on the boss kit to make it look like a wheel is there)

Parked at the back of the drive with another car parked across the drive entrance

Most thieves are opportunists and the ones who aren't will take it whatever you do to deter them. For the former remove the opportunity by removing the car from sight. A garage, car cover, gates or a fence so your car can't be seen will be the best deterrent you can get. A floodlight and cctv with signing to tell people might work but then again they might think if there is cctv there must be something worth stealing.

Yeah that's my only problem with floodlights/cctv. I don't want to highlight the fact its there even more so. It really doesn't help that it's orange aswell haha. I wanted to get a car cover but I don't trust them with the paintwork in the long run...

I suppose it helps I sleep in the room directly above the car with my window open, also my dogs seem to pick up even the slightest noises on the drive way and bark which is good too.

Pretty sure they would need some kind of truck to get it out the drive and move the other car so I'm sure that would wake me...:rolleyes:

Those were my thoughts initially. I get the feeling it will get vandalised for no reason which you can't really do anything about unless you garage it.

I had a funny encounter last night with some lads that have come back a few times to check it out but this time they decided to come into the drive to look at the gauges through the window, this time I was awake and as he got close to the window I set off the alarm with my keyfob - I've never seen a guy run so fast! Asked them what they were up to and they told me they were sorry and just checking the car out which I believe as they parked directly outside and didn't try to hide themselves. Still funny as hell though :eyebrows:

With a car parked across it, removable wheel, aftermarket alarm, dogs etc it sounds like you've already got it covered pretty well for thieves, better than my security by a mile anyway. Decent CCTV and automatic light might help though if you ever get a bunch of kids loitering around and need to take it further.

I had a similar problem with a group of lads who live near our area, there was about 10 of them, 12-15 year olds all came on to my drive to look at the car. I went out an politely confronted them and asked what they were doing on my drive, they got quite mouthy at me but haven't been back around since. Does worry me a bit though if one day they get bored and decide to mess about with my car.

Edited by Jord (see edit history)

With a car parked across it, removable wheel, aftermarket alarm, dogs etc it sounds like you've already got it covered pretty well for thieves, better than my security by a mile anyway. Decent CCTV and automatic light might help though if you ever get a bunch of kids loitering around and need to take it further.

I had a similar problem with a group of lads who live near our area, there was about 10 of them, 12-15 year olds all came on to my drive to look at the car. I went out an politely confronted them and asked what they were doing on my drive, they got quite mouthy at me but haven't been back around since. Does worry me a bit though if one day they get bored and decide to mess about with my car.

Ouch! sounds worse than mine I would hate that, reputation chasing youngsters thankfully my three dogs are all ex police and coming out on the drive holding one by its chain is enough to scare people off :innocent:

Guest Ec1202014
I keep getting a lot of attention from mainly youngsters in the area coming to admire the supra...

I had similar at an old address with an Evo.

3-5 young lads, chavs you could call them I suppose. But as you have stated they were actually just admiring it. Rather than confronting them, I engaged with them and showed them around the car, talked to them and took a couple of them for a spin. Probably sounds daft but what it meant was they respected me and the car, always waved in future and I knew they were never going to touch it... Worst thing you can ever do is fall out with these lads. They're never gonna steal the car, you've already shown you have too much security on the thing for an opportunist theft and if some professional wants it, they'll have it - which is unlikely as they can just steal a set of keys to a Porsche these days. What you want to protect against is vandalism. This, although a different apparoch worked for me mate.

Doubt that approach will work everywhere but did for me. Even just a chat with them can do wonders. Just my 2 cents bud.

Edited by Ec1202014 (see edit history)

I had similar at an old address with an Evo.

3-5 young lads, chavs you could call them I suppose. But as you have stated they were actually just admiring it. Rather than confronting them, I engaged with them and showed them around the car, talked to them and took a couple of them for a spin. Probably sounds daft but what it meant was they respected me and the car, always waved in future and I knew they were never going to touch it... Worst thing you can ever do is fall out with these lads. They're never gonna steal the car, you've already shown you have too much security on the thing for an opportunist theft and if some professional wants it, they'll have it - which is unlikely as they can just steal a set of keys to a Porsche these days. What you want to protect against is vandalism. This, although a different apparoch worked for me mate.

Doubt that approach will work everywhere but did for me. Even just a chat with them can do wonders. Just my 2 cents bud.

This or consider fitting barbed wire, czech hedgehogs and anti-personnel mines. When the postman scuffed the side of my Alfa with his bag I felt like confronting him through the means of shouting, pugilism and using his stupid face as a bowling bowl. So instead I waited for him, and pointed out the damage, he apologised and said he'd be more careful when rushing around. No issues since and have seen him carefully skirting my driveway.