The mkiv Supra Owners Club

devaluing car?

masterfett

seriously considering converting my auto to manual, love the auto box but starting to really miss the manual.

had a 5 speed na and loved it.

if i convert my TT to a w58 will i be shooting myself in the foot should i in the future sell?

car is bpu but otherwise completely stock.

opinions?

I'd say go for it.

The TT at BPU will be fine with the W58 as proven by many people on here.

Plus, the W58 is still the nicer feeling box to drive with. It's very positive and engaging and not agricultural unlike the 6 speed.

Get yourself a spec stage 3+ clutch which has a full organic face and you'll be fine:)

Speaking with Keron recently, he likes TT 5 speeds due to the ratios and the acceleration that gives.

With regards value, I think you're very unlikely to see a depreciation due to the W58.

if i convert my TT to a w58 will i be shooting myself in the foot should i in the future sell?

Yes it will lower the resale value of you car. Just like an original TT will always be worth more than a NA/TT conversion.

If you're worried about the resale value keep it stock (meaning no swap).

Disagree, I think worst case scenario the car's value will remain unaffected, however you will increase your potential pool of interested buyers - new buyers always (think they) want a manual and rule out auto without knowing how good they are, and assume you can't have fun in an auto. There are more wanted's for manual's than autos execpt those who are on a tighter budget. If you are selling your manual converted auto at the price of an auto imo it'll sell quicker as those on a budget in the market for an auto will see that they're getting the best of both worlds, a manual with an auto pricetag.

Getrag box, it's a no brainer. It will cost you £4k-£5k for the swap, but it will add that to the value of the car.

The W58 will put a lot of people off buying the car. Worrying about a gearbox breaking will ruin the ownership of the car.

I would personally prefer a TT auto to as TT with a w58 box and would most likely pay more for a stock auto TT than one that's been converted.

As Jason mentioned worrying about breaking the w58 would put me off buying one that's been converted. I would only consider it if it was going cheap as I would then be gambling and if anything was to go wrong I could use the change left over for a 6 speed box later down the line.

If your set on having a manual the best option and most cost effective option would be to sell and buy a TT6. You could always take any desirable parts off yours and swap them over.

I know you'll be thinking you've spent a lot of time and money on your current car and that would have gone to waste but altering a supra to your own spec is always the fun part.

If your dead set on a manual conversion then I'd look at either an r154 or getrag box. The price difference between the getrag and w58 will be the box and clutch as most of the other parts you'll need no matter which one you'll go for.

interesting comments guys, not going to quote everyone.

But

yes the 6 speed would be a no brainer if i had 5k sat about doing nothing, however i don't and granted it may be cheaper to buy a manual supra from scratch but.. that's not really an avenue i wish to go down.

Being that i don't drive it like i stole it i don't think i would be worried about a w58 breaking, seen a fair few examples that had been converted still running years on so they cant be that fragile.

as for flappy paddles, i had considered this and to be fair may be an option. But im not entirely sure it would scratch the itch.

Don't convert the car.

Learn to love the auto. To butcher the car will invariably reduce its desirability and resale IMHO. Especially as the Supra becomes rarer.

I suppose it might come down to how long you intend to keep it?

I wouldn't ever consider buying a non factor manual again. My last car was a converted auto and and was done badly by the previous owner, which has biased my opinion.

Edited by mwilkinson (see edit history)

Don't convert the car.

Learn to love the auto. To butcher the car will invariably reduce its desirability and resale IMHO. Especially as the Supra becomes rarer.

I suppose it might come down to how long you intend to keep it?

I wouldn't ever consider buying a non factor manual again. My last car was a converted auto and and was done badly by the previous owner, which has biased my opinion.

Not sure how you can do it badly to be honest its nuts and bolts. shame its biased your opinion but duly noted!

I love the take off from a standstill with the auto and its ease of acceleration up to 140. But I miss the 6 speed box when driving about that I owned before.

exactly that, i miss the connection.

Depends what YOU actually WANT from the car?

very true. i don't intend to sell it, unless the market suddenly booms and i can sell for enough for an nsx.

Auto FTW!

Would it not work out cheaper to fit a Syvecs and flappy paddles than it would to buy a complete V160/61 conversion kit?

Plus auto's are quicker ;)

probably would but im not looking at converting to 6 speed!

Not sure how you can do it badly to be honest its nuts and bolts. shame its biased your opinion but duly noted

there is the transmission tunnel that needs cutting out and welding in on a 6 speed at least....does the w58 fit straight in the auto tunnel?

It was the fact that, as Scott points out, the transmission tunnel was butchered into place. The rubber shift boots were not fitted, thus under the gear shift trim I had a hole to the gearbox.

I found the diff also hadn't been replaced and as such the prop shaft lengths were off. The auto diff also couldn't take the abuse of the 6 speed and was clunking badly.

I resolved it all at a cost.

strangely enough my old na 5 speed i sold to keron when i got the TT is now back up or sale as a shell! .. debated it for a second but being i sold it for less than half of the price its up for sale for the debate didn't last long ha!

In twice as good condition I might add ;)