The mkiv Supra Owners Club

pressure test of the intake system

teddan

Let's discuss the procedure how you do your pressure test of your intake system

I plug the intake of the turbo and then fill air from the smaller connection on the turbo.

I am thinking of running 2.5 bar so I want to go to bar for the pressure test. Unfortunately I got a lot of pressure from my crankcase ventilation. I think this is due to my BC280 cams? I think I need to remove them? I also want to point out that my engine is totally new built. Maybe I should brake it in first to get the piston rings not to leak so much?

I can here is the pressure getting out under the engine.... I am now a little afraid that I have blow some seals.

I took the time it takes to go from 1.5bar to 0.5bar. It was around a minute and it does not help to plug the crankcase vent. It still was the same time for drainage.

How much leakage is ok?

You cannot pressure test the engine by sending air through the turbo inlet. Some of the inlet and exhaust valves will be open, and the air will be rushing straight out of the exhaust.

You need to remove the Intercooler to throttle body pipe, and blank the end off. Then blank the turbo to Intercooler hose and, pressurise that part - so you're only testing from the turbo to throttle body for Intercooler leaks.

If you want to test the engine, you need to do a proper leak down test, with the correct equipment, one cylinder at a time, by setting each cylinder at tdc in turn.

Normly you set the cams to tdc and then it should be okej. But due to my BC280 cams as you say some valves till always be open. Therefore i am thinking of remove my cams to close the valves.

You should pressure test the hole system including intake manifold. There will be at least minor leaks in the intake hose couplings..