The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Craig's '93 TT6

craig85

Right so it's about time I got around to recording the spec on here so that I have a record as I (very slowly) put a few things right and get the car just as I want it.

I've had the car for about 6 weeks now and I'm now starting to understand what I need to do to get it 'just right'; I'm not interested in big power and as it's BPU already most of the mods will be cosmetic and electrical. So far I've probably spent about 12 hours cleaning up the paintwork and getting most of the scratches out of it; black cars really don't take too kindly to swirls and marks!

Current spec on it is:

Apexi Power FC ECU

Blitz Sequential Boost Controller

Racelogic Traction & Launch Control

Trust FMIC

Trial exhaust

BC BR Coilovers

Volk Racing F Zero Challenge 18" wheels

UK Spec Brakes

UK Spec front lights w/HIDs

Veilside C2 front bumper (worryingly it's starting to grow on me!)

Toad Ai606 alarm

Nardi leather wheel w/TRD horn button

GReddy boost guage and Sard oil temp gauge (not working)

10 year old, poorly fitting audio install

I think that covers all the major parts so here are the pics:

I have a growing list of little fixes to clean up the interior but removing the audio install and sorting out a standard boot liner looks to be next on the list. I might keep the sub and just remount it in a smaller box.

When I read Veilside bumper I imagined it looking worse than it does to be fair :) I'm still not a fan of the front bumper, Stock only for me really (Ridox at a push) but it's not that bad :)

Don't like that switch panel next to ignition either, would personally look to replacing it with something more subtle? (whatever it does)

Rest of the car is absolutely lovely though! Very jealous, would love a TT6 and this one looks very clean! Sounds like your list of jobs is spot on too, just tidying it up is exactly what it needs.

Thanks, with the Supra being a very rounded shape the bumpers edge do jar with it; I think it's the aggression I like though. Makes a change from all the grinning Supras! I'll probably replace it with a Ridox one way down the line.

I'm not sure what the guy who fitted the switch and starter button panel was thinking, it could look cool if done properly but all it does is make the car more of a ball ache to turn on.

That's a great introduction.

Everyone loves pictures, and sounds like you have picked up a nice car to tinker with.

I am sure it won't take long to get it how you would like, remember most of the fun is in the journey.

Look forward to updates.

• 2 weeks later...
This used to belong to a guy name Mush?, who lives down London way. I used to see it every now and then and found out he knew a good friend of mine. Didn't realise he sold it.

Will be watching with interest.

That's it, even had stickers of his instagram username on the windows! I think he traded it in for a GTR in the end, it's been very well looked after judging from the paperwork, the only let down was the condition of the paint.

• 4 months later...

Haven't made any major changes to the car yet, so I though I'd save up a few small ones to make this update worthwhile.

First of all I was a little disappointed with the keys and fob that came with the car. I was also concerned that I only had one fob for the alarm and no PIN to programme a new one.

Fortunately you can still get new fobs and the company I bought from was willing to get the pin from the database, as long as I could get the serial number from the alarm control box. That led to this:

It was tucked right up into the dash and I had to move quite a bit out of the way. None of it was properly secured anyway so it's a bit of a mess in there, but that's a job for another day. I am very pleased to report however that I got the new fob programmed and I ordered a new, OEM key that I just need to get cut.

Next up, the dodgy short shift kit that was fitted (got the receipt in the paperwork and it cost a whole £40!!) gave up on me and snapped. As you can see, it looks like a real quality piece:

So I put an order in for all the replacement parts to get it back to OEM:

Everything fitted together brilliantly and the shift action is massively improved over what it was; having lift up reverse back makes such a difference when going for 5th and 6th

I also thought I'd treat myself to some new heater buttons as I start to freshen up the interior, unfortunately one of them was out of stock, can you guess which?

Lastly, the brakes have seen better days visually so I thought I'd give them a quick once over ahead of a professional respray next year:

Fortunately the Mrs was happy to help out as my efforts with a paint brush are normally quite poor!

I thought I'd try something a little wild as it won't be long term and I didn't fancy the usual red or silver. It's starting to grow on me now though, particularly with the TRD decals, which I think would have been on a Lexus originally? Unfortunately I still have J Spec rears so wasn't able to apply the matching decals to them.

The camera really struggles to pick up the colour correctly, it's actually a little bluer than it appears in these.

Next up is to get rid of the boot build and put all the stock trim back in once I've sourced it, followed by black carpet and the dash panels being cleaned up. I'm still on the lookout for a stock bumper too and once I have this the skirts and spats will follow the Veilside bumper into my loft for storage.

Edited by craig85 (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Made a bit more progress with the car this weekend, as I started to sort the interior out at last!

First up was the audio install in the boot:

While I do appreciate a good sound system I found it took up too much usable space and went well beyond my needs. I had taken it out previously and inspected everything, for a ten year old install it was very well put together. The right fuses were used and very high quality, the groundings were good and they had used the right cables for each section; it even had a capacitor for the sub!!!!! There were also a fair few unused cables that I can only assume were left over from a previous install; these went too.

The interior has also annoyed me for a few more reasons, the switch panel on the dash being the main one, but also the general state of the grey headlining and carpet. I didn't see much point trying to clean it up as the visors and light surround were a bit yellow and I didn't fancy trying to dye the carpet either; seemed much easier to just replace them both!

So Keron was good enough to put this little package together for me to fit into the car, there is also a spare wheel but the wife wouldn't let it in the house!

This is all the boot trim I was missing (polystyrene, tools, spare wheel, board and carpet), black leatherette headlining, black UK spec carpet and a set of J Spec dash panels

I'm really happy to have a boot again and the black carpet and headlining really pick up the interior compared to the grotty, 23 year old grey that I had before

The spare dash panels have a carbon fibre covering, but this will probably go once I figure out what kind of finish I want; but aside from that I probably won't look to change much more this year.

Hi Craig, Car looks great and the mrs, mine used to help, but not anymore. Do i understand that you are looking for a stock front bumper ? if so, why? as i think the one fitted in your photo looks cool. I have just fitted a stock new front bumper, in black on my car and i may be interested in a swap.

20151007_161029.jpg (196.3 KB)

20151007_161029.jpg

I have a stock lip painted atm, and will have an unpainted one soon. Also have a front bumper but for now Im keeping hold of it.

I think everyone is, the stock look is very much in fashion at the moment. If I hey a bumper I might be in touch about a lip if you fancy parting with it.

Hi Craig, Car looks great and the mrs, mine used to help, but not anymore. Do i understand that you are looking for a stock front bumper ? if so, why? as i think the one fitted in your photo looks cool. I have just fitted a stock new front bumper, in black on my car and i may be interested in a swap.

20151007_161029.jpg (196.3 KB)

I am, I like the stock look and I don't think the Veilside bumper suits the Supra without wide arches and aggressive skirts and spoiler. It's also quite long and low so causes clearance issues.

I'd love to swap but I don't think that would be fair on you as the bumper has a few scuffs here and there where is has caught speed bumps and kerbs. Besides, you can pick them up for a lot less than a stock bumper as they're quite unpopular right now. If you are still interested then pm me and we'll see if we can work something out.

Edited by craig85 (see edit history)

Hi Craig85, You are an honest guy and thanks for that. I did think your front spoiler / bumper looked good, but on reflection and by looking more closely at my stock one, i think i will stick. Many thanks for your response, and good luck. Hope your wife keeps helping, is she allowed to drive the beast ? herbiemercman.