The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Clutch on startup?

tbourner

Does anyone put the clutch in when they start the car? Obviously you would if it was in gear but I mean in general.

I was told it is easier for the engine to start like this, but I'd have though it wouldn't do the clutch any good.

I've done it a couple of times and it does seem like it starts better (placebo?).

I would have thought if anything it would be very very slightly less stress on the engine as the clutch is dis-engaged, so less turning force on the plates than when engaged. Resulting in i guess what you could call easier on the engine........wouldnt have thought it was a common thing though or we would all be doing it ;)

If it was in neutral, arent the plates disengaged anyway?

No.

If you are in neutral with the clutch out then the clutch friction plate and the gearbox input shaft are turning with the engine. The drive doesn't go anywhere after that because no gears are dogged to the output shafts.

If you start the car with the clutch in then the friction plate and input shaft are decoupled from the engine, lowering the flywheel inertia, which might be what you are feeling when the car starts. Because there are no engaged gears at in the gearbox to offer any resistance I would have thought that the friction plate would have still dragged round slowly in neutral even with the clutch in.