The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Plasti-Dipping my supra

krisgowing

Basically my supra is in need of full respray, I know how much it costs which is why I'm going to save up each month to have it all done properly.

Basically a garage near me does a great job with Plasti-dip and because his done so work on my friends I can get the whole car done in Matt white for £300.

I can show you some of his work and it looks good and it's just until I can get the full respray.

Just wanna know your thought's on it :D

Also quoted me:

Wheels Dipped Matt black £150

Hid Headlights £90 fitted

Lights restore £60

If done same time as the car dip which is 300 will be 550 all the above

Let me know.

Kris.

Edited by krisgowing (see edit history)

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doooooooont doooo it.....................Better off using that 550 to put towards a proper spray job believe me. You will regret it in 7-8months. Doesn't matter what any seller tells you. I've used the stuff tonnes and it's not as durable as they make out. remember it was originally designed to give slippery surfaces a gripping texture. It's good for stuff like wheels if it's temporary and you plan to change the colour up every so often.

Doooooooont doooo it.....................Better off using that 550 to put towards a proper spray job believe me. You will regret it in 7-8months. Doesn't matter what any seller tells you. I've used the stuff tonnes and it's not as durable as they make out. remember it was originally designed to give slippery surfaces a gripping texture. It's good for stuff like wheels if it's temporary and you plan to change the colour up every so often.

It's only temporary but if its that bad maybe it's not worth it.

I know i want a full respray its just the cost I will be waiting a while to save up.

Thought full car for 300 was to good for something decent.

Looks good if you like the Matt look. For £300 you could afford to have it done once a year to keep it looking good

They do it in various white finishes but think a matt may last better than a metallic.

What do you think would look better?

Quoted to be done every 3 years if well looked over but probably not that long haha.

I would say go for it, but I am biased. There is another member on here who did his himself last year and it looked good and a huge improvement on what he had. Its a short term fix, the same as wrapping imo. The advantage of the plasti dipping is that it comes off a whole lot easier than wrap and tends not to cause damage like wrap does. For £300 and no effort I would say it has to be worth it if your car is in desperate need of a re-spray.

I wrapped mine a few years ago because it had various coloured panels and primed up repairs and have been happy with it. Its looking rough again now but it stood outside for 3 years after wrapping and the weather took its toll. But for me a highly polished show example isn't what I want. If plasti dipping kits were around then I would have probably used that instead of wrap. Hell, some people pay nearly that to have their car detailed/valeted, I suspect some pay more.

It's your car and if you like the look then go for it.

- - - Updated - - -

I had the supra dipped just to try it as my paint isn't that good anymore. Love being able to change the colour to anything you want every time.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7606/16516471923_c230472017_z.jpg

Lovely!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]201502[/ATTACH]

This was one he did the other week, wouldn't get it in this colour mind

He did that one last week??? He's a garage near you?

Yet that car that you show as an example is clearly in the states. Left hand drive, not running a front plate and neither are the other cars in the background.

Then the image is also on http://www.dipyourcar.com/examples.html who are a company based in Florida.

So, yeah, he definitely didn't do that car the other week.

He did that one last week??? He's a garage near you?

Yet that car that you show as an example is clearly in the states. Left hand drive, not running a front plate and neither are the other cars in the background.

Then the image is also on http://www.dipyourcar.com/examples.html who are a company based in Florida.

So, yeah, he definitely didn't do that car the other week.

Haha! I was going to say that grass looks way too good to be in the UK!

That look's good.

How long does it last for and do you have any problems with it?

I would say go for it, but I am biased. There is another member on here who did his himself last year and it looked good and a huge improvement on what he had. Its a short term fix, the same as wrapping imo. The advantage of the plasti dipping is that it comes off a whole lot easier than wrap and tends not to cause damage like wrap does. For £300 and no effort I would say it has to be worth it if your car is in desperate need of a re-spray.

I wrapped mine a few years ago because it had various coloured panels and primed up repairs and have been happy with it. Its looking rough again now but it stood outside for 3 years after wrapping and the weather took its toll. But for me a highly polished show example isn't what I want. If plasti dipping kits were around then I would have probably used that instead of wrap. Hell, some people pay nearly that to have their car detailed/valeted, I suspect some pay more.

It's your car and if you like the look then go for it.

- - - Updated - - -

Lovely!

It's worth ago for that surely, If it lasts a year then I've got enough money saved for my respray and then can get it done and be a happy lad.

It's just I've been quoted £400 just for touch up repairs etc so it seems worth giving ago/.

I've been plastidiping cars and wheels for ages

It's great stuff, works well, very enduring, but does have downsides.

It does get cut fairly easily, good side is cut the square out and respray in an hour

Matches perfectly.

The biggest downside to plastidiping is the people claiming they can do it, the majority of businesses are set up to jump on the bandwagon.

Have no idea what they are really doing, and use other photos to promote their work.

Cowboys.

That's why I stopped doing it.

I was sick and tired of people saying they could get it cheaper, then calling me up to fix it after it was fu**ed.

Plastidip is one product, a true product.

Cowboys use cheap crap and pass it off as plastidip.

They do my head in!!

Now my advise would be to find people who have had it done, check their car and ask where they got it done.

Or for the money, buy the sprayer, buy the paint from http://www.matt-pack.co.uk and do it yourself.

You will have paint left over for any repairs, and if you mask up really well, you can peel off the overspray dip and save it for your spares.

Need anymore advice just ask away