The mkiv Supra Owners Club

THE Supra farewell. For now

jay_NW

Hello guys,

First of all, I'd like to thank all of those who took their time to send me well wishes. Each and everyone of them meant allot to me.

I am posting this to prevent myself from repeating myself every time. I appreciate there are many who want to know, so this way it should clear matters up once and for all.

'What an event' was an expression I was going to use before it actually ended. Now, somehow the phrase doesn't do justice to what actually occurred. Certainly what could have.

In any case my passenger and I are recovering well. I was battered and bruised more than anything. Passenger Ben has a cut on his face which a plastic surgeon has operated on, a broken back, broken right through the spine T12 but luckily stayed in the same place so he needs to stay flat for it to heal. Spoke to him recently and he should be out of the hospital in 2 - 3 weeks time.

The build of the Supra and specifically the cage installed without question had saved our lives. Thank you SRD, Lee, Ashley, Ryan, Simon, Colin everyone who worked on the car.

Many have asked me what happened, so in a nutshell....

My day was set. Run the lambo, get a fast time. Run the LFA for paps, run the Supra for the love. Day done thank you ... If only...

Loaded Lambo and LFA in the truck and drove the Supra:

Lambo was readied, I was excited and nervous. However maybe not as nervous as i should be. But the lambo is planted, it did it's job and does it well. I ran it around 2 or 3 times, slowly cranking up the power. Constantly hitting 219 in half mile, only geared to do 220. I am starting to get a real feel for her.. I then Ran the LFA. What a fun car that is. The sound is addictive, the drive is exciting.

Then, I felt the Supra itch calling. Racefuel was being prepared for the car. On my first run as I was accelerating up the strip, she didn't feel as stable as I recall on the road. However the surface runway was not the best. I ran to approx 180. My penultimate run was of similar results, however I started feeling more at ease and we hit approx 210mph.

So... Onto the run that was to be the Supra's farewell... She felt perfect, the surge was smooth, I felt confident, passenger Ben was reading out the speed from Vbox, I concentrated on the road ahead and was zoned into a tunnel vision like perceptive as I could see the braking zone on the horizon, Ben read out 220 mph a few moments before I felt the Supra give way. I felt a sudden pull towards one side, there was nothing I could do, I recall the first flip (one of four). I then woke up to Axle, Darret, Ibo and few other mates trying to get to us to make sure we were ok. Safety crew were trying to get them away from reaching us but couldn't. I now know they were concerned about the car igniting due to the race fuel. I recall I passing my keys to the other cars then the air ambulance arriving. The rest is more then a blur. I have mini flashbacks. I remember small scenes here and there. Every few days more and more comes back to me.

Craig and rest of the Vmax crew done well to get us safely out of the car. The response was as good as it possibly could have been.

So there we have it, my love for all this started with the Supra. Indeed it was just metal, health is the most important factor and one which cannot be purchased at any price. However as poetic as it may seem, I thought the Supra's farewell was running one last time up the strip, however in actual fact, the Supra's final performance was to preserve my life. For that, I am forever grateful.

You won't keep me out of a Supra that easily.

Edited by jay_NW (see edit history)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aslong as you and Ben ok that's what matters bro.

The shot of the Supra beside the LFA one of my all time fav shots I think.

I wish my Supra (once done) was able to line up beside them both.

Hopefully people will stop all the chinese whispers and get facts from people who were actually there and involved before spouting rubbish.

Some of the stories are beyond Disney.

Bloody hell.

Hopefully you and your passenger make a full recovery.

Safe to say any other car not built so well and you might not have been so lucky. It looks like it's been through a war zone.

All the best to you and your passenger.

Jay, thanks for posting. We met at the previous months VMax and spoke when you were having problems with the wheel sensor on the Lambo.

I heard through one of my other forums that a Supra had crashed but I didn't want to cross post.

So glad your ok, pm me if I can be of any help.

Glad you are ok Jay, and I wish Ben a full recovery. My brother was in a car accident not so long ago, the papers made out that it wasn't as bad, but he was in a induced coma and I am pretty strong and was close to tears at the time, just over a year later, he has to wear a hearing aid, and lost some taste but the main thing is he is alive and well. Like you said, you cant put a price on that.

As said thanks for sharing your story of the day jay and hope you and Ben have a speedy and full recovery,

And as said the car dose not look in that bad a shape considering what it went though and the forces involved at them speeds even to the point that the engine and air filter are just sat there like nothing happened that is crazy,

It's a rare thing to look at a car that mangled and know that people survived. Thank god for the rollcage.

I can't believe the drivers door is not more smashed up; turbo too.

If you look at damage and mud the car looks like it cartwheeled looking at the front shot the hole of the drive side is still straight from front to just behind driver door,

Expect to see an influx in cages being fitted as this is testament to there usage,