The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Intercooler core sizes ?

2JZMKIV

Would anyone know max dimensions (LxHxW) of an intercooler core that can fit ?

Depends if you are talking side or front install. If side I'd ask Garage Whifbitz as I fitted one of their units that is much larger than the stock intercooler and that's pretty much as big as you can go for a side mounted one.

The size and design of the end tanks are just as important as the core size. Also don't forget that you are restricting airflow to the radiator, and it may also be less responsive.

It should be matched to your power goals, an uprated SMIC is good for BPU and small single setups, and is correctly ducted.

There's no point in a core that's bigger than the exit area of the duct. It will be ducted, right....? I see huge cores on MKIV's with only a third of the core receiving any air flow!

yes thats why i asked the question in the first place if i can put a intercooler wider but shorter in height over 1/3 its area will be covered which makes it efficient but the question is how wide mm is allowed on a supra 600mm max ?

There's no point in a core that's bigger than the exit area of the duct. It will be ducted, right....? I see huge cores on MKIV's with only a third of the core receiving any air flow!

And people tell me my front bumper's stupid! HA!

I believe mine is 600mm. What bumper are you running?

an uprated SMIC is good for BPU and small single setups, and is correctly ducted.

I felt an appreciable difference on my uprated Supra with the Whifbitz larger side intercooler. How much of that was down to cooling efficiency over the old one due solely to the fins on the old one having turned to powder is impossible to say. When the new intercooler was fitted I felt the car got most of its mojo back from what I could recall from when it was a new car so its probably a case of a fully functioning unit is more important than size.

My wife hears that a lot.