The mkiv Supra Owners Club

NA to TT BPU from Trinidad and Tobago

GTR Fever

Good day everyone,

In Trinidad and Tobago legally registered Supra's are rare and therefore expensive. Talking to a friend of my dad about 5 years ago he mentioned that he thinks he has a Supra parked under a tree in his estate somewhere. Turns out it was a Supra that he was willing to let go of. Originally 1993 J-spec SZ (non turbo, auto). It was under this tree for about 6 years due to a damaged transmission. Within a week I went back with a tow truck to pick it up.

IMG-20110409-1202.jpgIMG-20110402-1200.jpg

Turns out this is a completely original body...never repainted, never in any sort of accident at all! Score!

Got her home and first line of attack was to remove that horrid wing and get the car looking close to original (had some 16" Mazda RX7 wheels spare)..Photos below are June 2011

IMG-20110611-1200.jpgIMG-20110611-1201.jpg

Then I took it to a shop called "Boost Factory" which is close to home, they are the local 2JZ experts with the fastest 2JZ setups in the Caribbean. The plan was very simple, Aristo TT swap but to keep it looking as OEM as possible

IMG-20110702-1200.jpgIMG-20110730-1200.jpg

Above was their final product which I was not too pleased with. Ended up with numerous issues from overheating to poor performance so I decided to change a few things myself. Mishimoto 3-core radiator, Mishimoto transmission oil cooler (clipped onto the FMIC), Mishimoto radiator hoses, Clutch fan assembly, Fan shroud etc

IMG-20120727-00426.jpg

Installed some JDM PIAA staggered wheels 18x8", 18x9" (rear has 1" spacers), TT Bilstein struts, Tein S-tech springs, Blitz NUR spec exhaust...Photos below are July 2012

IMG-20120720-00334.jpgIMG-20120720-00339.jpg

A few burnouts later...

IMG-20130619-02400.jpg

Got the car aligned and tightened subframe bolts

IMG-20130622-02430.jpg

Edited by GTR Fever (see edit history)

Very nice, My parents are from Trini, Couva side...have been there many times and have seen a few supras and been for a ride in one down there! Welcome and if you like I can post some pics of local supras :) Nice to see another down there

Finally got a strut bar installed...was in a mess before so had to strip both ends, paint them and polish the middle bar...worth it! Also cleaned the engine bay...September 2014

IMG-20140928-1200.jpg

An interior pic, realised I haven't posted any since

IMG-20140928-1203.jpg

gauges are cheapo ones that will be changed soon

Thanks man!

Have alot of parts in my garage sitting. Been searching and collecting parts over a year now. All are for the body overhaul I'm planning. Trying to upload more pics since yesterday but it keeps failing :(

Current plan is to change the compressor bearing as it's making noise, sort out a few other mechanical/ electrical gremlins then send to the body shop for the overhaul.

Carbon bonnet struts and Sickspeed reservoir sleeve installed...February 2015

IMG-20150226-1204.jpg

Bumper turn signals swapped from amber/ orange to crystal clear (used the DEPO lights, direct plug in and bolt on)

IMG-20150226-1209.jpg IMG-20150226-1213.jpg

Just some pics from the same day (car was dirty, sorry)

IMG-20150226-1216.jpgIMG-20150226-1219.jpg

IMG-20150226-1205 - Copy.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Decided to do some tidying of the engine bay as I took the coil pack cover off to change the plugs. Painted in a semi-gloss/ satin black and painted the bolts a blue to match the rest of blue bits in the engine room. After it all I took some good 'ole Autosol and went to work on the radiator and intercooler piping. This made a huge difference!

IMG-20150604-1200 - Copy.jpg

IMG-20150604-1201 - Copy.jpg

Oh and the coil pack plugs made a difference as well lol..car now idles on her own during cold-start.

So my uncle from London called to let me know that my Supra TT ECU has arrived. Very excited to get it back home and installed on the car to see if it fixes my issues (mainly the A/C step-up and cold start idle). Would be nice if it fixes my cruise control as well! :)

Also got a used 3-bar Toyota steering wheel with airbag that should be installed when I am back in the country by mid-July.

• 1 month later...

Last month a group of friends rented a local dyno shop for the day for various tuning/ base pulls. Main focus was to get my STi tuned (silver one in the background) and do a base pull with the Supra. We had to dyno in 2nd gear due to shop rules and got 280whp as seen in the curve. How much so will this be if done in 3rd gear?? Another thing to note was the different curves. Blue one being with the Aristo ECU (horrible, I know!) and the red one is with the Supra ECU thanks to "themodifiedkid")

IMG-20150725-1200 - Copy.jpgIMG-20150725-1212 - Copy.jpg

Further to the dyno-day, The Supra ECU wasn't as successful as I thought it would've been by just plugging it in. This lead to the removal of the protective tape over the ECU harness to figure out what the problem was....This instantly gave me a headache!

IMG-20150808-1201.JPGIMG-20150808-1202.JPG

Lots of wires were just cut and not connected to anything (the 40-pin jack) and had some random relays connected to the A/C wiring etc...absolute nightmare!

Then took it to a very good friend to attempt a re-wire project which is still ongoing (4th day so far) but made lots of progress, just trying to sort out the ABS now :)

IMG-20150809-1201.JPGIMG-20150809-1203.JPGIMG-20150809-1204.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Got the wiring sorted almost perfectly, countless thanks to themodifiedkid from this forum and my friend locally for doing the actual wiring.

Decided to postpone the bodywork/ paint due to other constraints so in the meanwhile, give the body a little improvement with a buff and polish. This is my first attempt and I personally think it came out really nice for a first attempt. This is how the roof looked after it was washed and the other pic is when half was buffed.

IMG-20150822-1201.jpgIMG-20150822-1204.jpg

My younger cousin taking a try while I take some pics..

IMG-20150822-1202.jpg

Finished product + installing a new front lip which bolted in perfectly and looks a lot more aggressive than the OEM one I had on before. For a car and paint job that is over 20 years old (1993 and has not been repainted since factory) it looks great! Bumpers are faded kinda bad but I can live with it.

IMG-20150822-1205.jpgIMG-20150822-1222.jpg

What do you guys think??