The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How much boost!

JackyBoi

I was curious as to how much boost people here are running on their Supra's? I know that 1.2 bar is the average for a BPU TT, but what about for people who have an aftermarket turbo and the rest? Is 3 bar unheard of on a Supra? And what would be the safe maximum boost you could run on one? I'm just wanting to gather some info as I'd like to run a bit more boost, but don't know about the detrimental effects it can put on engines and parts, or if it's even worth while when a car performs well on low boost. Cheers guys :thumbs:

I dont hear many over 2 bar , but good question :D but is turbo spec dependant you would need the turbo to still be in its affeciancey range for it to be worth it , then there is all the other bits to go along with it head work , ect

I run 1.3 with 524 bhp and im happy with that its safe conserative reliable and fun :D

A lot depends on how effective your engine and especially your head are running.

The more effective, the less boost you need to run to achieve nice numbers.

Bigger turbos often need more boost to unleash huge power.

My 6766 was maxed out at 1.9 bar.

The silver Supra at last year TI (in the States) ran 65 psi! (1500+ bhp through a 8685 turbo).

Boost isn't an indication on the longvity of an engine.

You can run 2+ bar through a 62mm turbo on a stock block without a problem, but a 8685 turbo will kill your stock rods at 1 bar already.

- - - Updated - - -

Torque and revs will put a lot of stress on stock internals.

I find this a tad worrying as mine is mapped to cope with 1.7 bar..... Totally stock engine :rolleyes:

I'm sure it will be fine. as said depends on the setup really. The turbo I was talking was very responsive and torquey so that may have been the reason for being suggested

Wow... All very interesting information thanks guys :) on another matter, on my particular setup what kind of gains would be seen from fitting some 264 cams? Do higher lift cams work well alongside a high-boost setup?

264's iirc are slightly higher lift than stock but its the duration that you should be interested in. Mucho overlap on high boost might not be what your after at the stock rev limit, selecting cam profiles and timing is not the same between a naturally aspirated engine and a FI engine. High lift and overlap can be detrimental to what you really want to achieve.