The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What Paint Should I Use For Disk Mount. What A Nightmare..

a98pmalcolm

Hay all.

I have brembo brakes and the disk mounts (could be call bell housings?) have gone all old and stained.

So I thought its time to paint them and get them looking fresh.

I have had an absolute nightmare. I spent the whole day doing one side..

I used the below spray and its come out all wrinkled when sprayed the to surface causing major time to get remotely right.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251643693614?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Being a fussy bugger this isnt good enough (pics attached below). The front came out nicer than the rear. But before I do the other side what is the best paint to use? And I will want to redo the rear that I have already done.

Previous years I have done callipers with calliper paint and a bush and had no issues but as the disk mounts are smooth I dont want a rough finish.

I'd love to get them re anodized but this is my daily runner and cant wait weeks for them back.

So what paint should I use? What your best experience to get the smoothest finish?

Thanks

Paul

Before:

After with the nightmare paint:

That looks like it's reacted, was the part preped and pre cleaned properly before applying the paint?

It doesn't need to be heat proof paint, the above is water base colour with car body clear coat, done over 3000 miles now and still all good

Those spots mean silicone/grease/dirt under there. Use brake cleaner to get the initial grime off, sand it up for a good key, us brake cleaner again then tack cloths to clean it up 100%, Never used that VHT stuff I just stick with foliatec now

Those spots mean silicone/grease/dirt under there. Use brake cleaner to get the initial grime off, sand it up for a good key, us brake cleaner again then tack cloths to clean it up 100%, Never used that VHT stuff I just stick with foliatec now

I fully degreased at cleaned using brake cleaner!! I think its just naff spray..

That looks like it's reacted, was the part preped and pre cleaned properly before applying the paint?

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/baldies_photos/08c7c9db1a46e3f58da217d9c38f5f8a_zps1b47a519.jpg

It doesn't need to be heat proof paint, the above is water base colour with car body clear coat, done over 3000 miles now and still all good

That looks great.. PM'e

I think you've either sprayed it on far too thick, or applied it with a potato

You need to lay the paint down in thin coats, about 3-4 with 10 minutes between coats.

Lol. Applied as usual when I spray anything. As soon as I put a thin coat on, it all wrinkled. The only way to remove the wrinkling was a heavy coat.