The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Ebay dampened crank pulley by febest

safcdixon

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They look identical, but don't have the small counter sunk holes a genuine one has. IMO at absolute best they are as good as genuine blanks, but who knows the effect of a small imbalance?

Look at a genuine one and you'll see the dished holes I'm talking about and they have to be (IMO) to completely balance the pulley....

If you were worried about the balancing i`m sure you could get that done for less than 50 quid.

:thumbs:

If it cost 50£ to balance (if its unbalanced in the 1st place) its still a few hundred cheaper than a oem toyota unit, ive ordered one im gonna match it up too my current oem one, mines never been changed in a long time but passed the tipex test so il keep it as a spare for now

Guest pharmed

I've got one on my 1jz, it was a bargain at £50 and quality is just like oem. Will let you know in 5 years or 100 odd thousand miles how it's lasting!

Seriously, it's £50 and balanced unlike a solid piece. Change it 6 times as often as the oem one and you still haven't broke even...!!

Guest pharmed

Got mine from amazon, directly from Febest (they were the seller) delivery was from Estonia (I think?) and took 2 weeks but packaging was amazing it came in a mini cardboard vault of a box.

I just brought the last one.

I might send it over to http://vibrationfree.co.uk/ to get it balanced at some point before I fit it.

No you havnt:p.... every time the last one goes another one appears, seen this three or four times in the last few days, cant work out why they would do this , I really want one but not sure on the quality, and I don't think I need one, it just seems such a bargain.

Why would anyone take a risk on such a critical component? For the sake of £100 risk screwing the bottom end of your engine.

I thought the Toyota UK prices were a bit steep on this pulley so I ended up buying a genuine Toyota one from a US dealership. Paid the price, paid air freight, paid import duties and was almost £100 cheaper. That was around a year ago so may not be as advantageous now the £ has slid a bit against the US$. The story line remains though, you don't need to just buy genuine parts from UK suppliers. I just purchased a OE throttle body for my Audi via a German outfit for 40% of the price from Audi UK.

Guest pharmed

"For the sake of £100"? How did you figure that? The OEM one is £300+ isn't it? Significant difference for most folk.

And what is the risk? Febest seem to be a reputable supplier and the part looks oem quality, I'd be very very surprised if it was not balanced as when I bought mine it looked like they made balanced pulleys for a living.

Edited by pharmed (see edit history)

Stock ones are normally £386 from whifbitz they are offer at the min at 280, so even the on offer price is £230 more expensive than the febest unit, theres a few said thetve had them fitted for a while with nothing bad to report, the guys who have bought them will be the guinea pigs if they work then perfect we've saved a good chunk of money as a collective

I'm not saying x y z will fail etc, but what I did notice about these pulleys is they don't have the dished holes that vary from pulley to pulley and so to me 'may' not be 100% balanced.

We all know 10-20g missing on a 25Kg+ car wheel can have a noticeable effect once the rpm gets up, so perhaps a crank pulley at 2000-6000rpm will have so bad resonance effects......if Toyota couldn't spec a completely balanced crank pulley back in the day without post manufacture machining/balancing (those pimples) what makes you think Febest now can?

I still maintain they are OE quality blanks without complete balancing, not sure what the effects are.........none short term that's for sure and a lot to be saved compared to a high speed failing pulley. Pays your money takes your choice :)

Mine arrived today, looks like it has been balanced already with a drill indentation on the engine side, but time will tell, it also came with a small half moon shaped piece of metal about 1/2" long :blink:, no idea what that is for.......it was very well packaged and only took a few days, so very happy at the moment, I don't have any issues with the one on the car at the moment , its probably the original one, do you think it would be a good idea to change sooner than later or should I wait? I am not sure of what signs a failing crank pully would give out, (if any) any advice would be great ........thanks. ps car is an import tt with allegedly 65000 ish on the clock .