The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Powder coating suspension arms - ball joints???

Big Mark

I've stripped off my suspension arms ready to fit new poly bushes an am considering having them powder coated.

Is it ok to do the arms with ball joints or will the heat from baking on the powder coat damage the ball joints?

I would say it would, but I know others have done it. It's usually only an issue when the ball joints have nylon liners.

Either way, without a grease nipple, grease will never get in there 100%.

I did message Ibrar a few weeks back but only got the arms off yesterday (bolts seized solid), need to get them back on the car Thursday and just don't have the time to get over to his so have dropped them off at a place next to work. No one said anything about the ball joints being an issue other than that the boots won't survive but I've already got spares ones for most of them.

I taught paint technology and surface coatings for 20 years and don't understand the fascination for a cohesive coating in a wet place?

For the same reason as for why rubberoid underseal is frowned upon.

2 coats of hammerite engine paint would look just as good, has more adhesion than cohesion, for less than 10% of the price and won't destroy rubber components.

It's a fad, like that plastidipshit.

It sticks to itself better than the surface and when water gets under it, it keeps it there and promotes oxidisation beneath the prettyness.

The components are heavy enough steel not to worry, but the ends will fluff up from rust underneath.

Unless it chips i'd imagine it could be quite a while before you get any problems, saying that i steered away

from powder coating the suspension and axle cases on my Range Rover purely because of where they are.