The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra knowledgable tuners/service garages near me?

Dave Carroll

Gents,

Any suggestions for a good place to take the Supra for a good tune up and possibly fitting of a decent Boost Controller near Northamptonshire?

Close to Liverpool could also be considered.

Ideally I am thinking dyno too so I can get an up to date idea of the state of things currently and post boost controller.

On a side note, the previous owner told me the car last made 420bhp when put on a dyno.

Its full BPU (bar the boost controller) including FMIC, but currently at peak 0.9bar, not sure if I fully believe this number...

I do have a previous dyno readout of the car and it shows 390bhp, so seeing as the previous owner could not find the one showing 420, want to see for myself!

Engine does feel good and strong, and in fact I have a dyno readout of when it was standard, yet over 10 years old, and it read just over 320bhp.

So its good and strong, just curious on that 420bhp figure and if it proves true, what will it put down at 1.2bar....

Dave

A stock engine, decatted with stock turbos at 0.9bar won't be making anywhere near 420hp, it'd be closer to 350hp. At 1.2bar it will make around 380-400 flywheel hp, with the addition of aftermarket cams, bigger injectors and mappable ECU, 430 flywheel hp is around the maximum you'd see.

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

That's interesting to hear, and makes me now want to know exactly what's going on even more.

As I say, I have some dyno readouts showing just over 390bhp, so that is the minimum impression I am under.

Therefore, taking into account your experiences, I am going to ask for even more detail as to the modifications done to the engine.

It definitely peaks at 0.9bar, it seemingly has stock turbo setup, full decat, stock engine including head, FMIC, Apexi 4 inch intake (not a change I would have made at this level but hey), Blitz BOV, 'up-rated' FPR but from what I can see, stock rail/injectors. It does have HKS adjustable timing pulleys and the matching belt, but can't see that having such an impact on power output.

Good job I got along with the previous owner fairly well after buying it, I can still ask for more info!

Good job I got along with the previous owner fairly well after buying it, I can still ask for more info!

Was the previous owner a member on here? if he was, you may find info on the car by doing a search of his user name.

He was a long time ago, he stopped using the car so much a few years back and slowly stopped using the forum he said.

Just got a text back from him!

Key point: the restrictor ring was fitted after the dyno sessions.

Therefore, I assume it ran around 1.2bar for those readouts.

So now... definitely time to get a boost controller on there ;)

Auto or 6spd?

If it's an auto the dyno number won't tell you much. It's very difficult to get an accurate reading.

A healthy bpu car should make around 380 whp. Fuel is important too, since supras love higher octane.

Take it to the track (santapod for example) and look at the trapspeed. Should be around 120mph for a bpu car.

Auto or 6spd?

If it's an auto the dyno number won't tell you much. It's very difficult to get an accurate reading.

A healthy bpu car should make around 380 whp. Fuel is important too, since supras love higher octane.

Take it to the track (santapod for example) and look at the trapspeed. Should be around 120mph for a bpu car.

6spd mate

Yeah I noticed the love of higher octane (predicted it would anyway..)

Had to put half a tank in the day I bought it to drive south, since that filled on BP ultimate/Shell V Power Nitro whatever its now called. Much better.

I live about 5 minutes from santapod so the idea is to get it there soon.

Also a bit of fun coming up later this month on a trackday but that's more to learn the handling traits of the car in a safe(er) environment.

Auto or 6spd?

A good BPU will run the quarter around 13.1 at 110/111 mph at best

A good BPU will run the quarter around 13.1 at 110/111 mph at best

Yeah over here we have only had a few bpu's hit over 115mph.... all on hybrid turbos too, think they were all at santapod too

Those are some very low trapspeeds....

All of the bpu supras I've seen ran between 115-122mph In the States and Europe. Stock UK twins.

Edited by 666 (see edit history)

You could try Keron at Extreme Performance in Leicester or Chris Wilson is a short detour between Npton and Liverpool near Telford. Alternatively Whifbitz are not too far away in Enfield.

Thanks mate, I was considering these guys, at the moment Whifbitz would be the most likely for me.

First things first, get that boost controller ordered!

Auto or 6spd?

Hey, why not show us the bpu runs you are basing this post on, take a look here http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?166336-Supra-Drag-Racing-Times&highlight=drag+racing+times

OP, where are you based,? I can't be too far from you, am in Irthlingboro.

Hey, why not show us the bpu runs you are basing this post on, take a look here http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?166336-Supra-Drag-Racing-Times&highlight=drag+racing+times

You are not too far at all.

I'm just down the A45 to Wellingborough. Tiny little place called Strixton (you would probably be more familiar with the likes of Wollaston/Bozeat though - same area).

Plenty of cars in germany, sweden and norway. If you want a list check over here.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/#/forumsite/20626/topics/350519

Thats not really updated though.

Jezzica also ran 121mph iirc stock twins vpower 99ron. There was even a discussion on this forum about her dyno numbers.

Yet she backed it up with the trapspeed.

I know at least three more bpu cars who trapped over 118mph this year. Let me see if i can find the printouts.

However it has been proven a trillion times what these cars are capableof

Plenty of cars in germany, sweden and norway. If you want a list check over here.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/#/forumsite/20626/topics/350519

Thats not really updated though.

Jezzica also ran 121mph iirc stock twins vpower 99ron. There was even a discussion on this forum about her dyno numbers.

Yet she backed it up with the trapspeed.

I know at least three more bpu cars who trapped over 118mph this year. Let me see if i can find the printouts.

However it has been proven a trillion times what these cars are capableof

Yes, impressive. Though the slips you show are for one car though and the majority of bpu cars cannot achieve 120 trap unless running hi stall or built boxes. The point is there are not that many cars here that have topped 120 at bpu, and as you know even 0.5mph increase at the trap is quite hard to achieve once you are in the low 13s running at bpu.

Not having a go, but I don't think it's true to say the trapspeed will be at 120mph on the majority of bpu cars on here running stock trannys, and I would say 95% of bpu cars are running stock.

You are not too far at all.

I'm just down the A45 to Wellingborough. Tiny little place called Strixton (you would probably be more familiar with the likes of Wollaston/Bozeat though - same area).

OK cool, the missus work at Eastern Maudit and drives a Silver NA so you most likely to see her from time to time as she commutes 3 times a week from I'boro.

OK cool, the missus work at Eastern Maudit and drives a Silver NA so you most likely to see her from time to time as she commutes 3 times a week from I'boro.

Can't say I have seen it unfortunately.

Only other supra I have seen in the 2.5 years I have lived down here is a white NA that rolled up next to mine on Friday afternoon at tescos...

I commute to Cranfield near Milton Keynes every day fairly early and late, so probably why I've missed it.

I can't stop going for a run at the moment... addicted to that 2JZ / Blitz Nur Spec combo, so no doubt if you are around this area at all you will see me on a cruise/blast.

Hi mate maybe try jpsmotorsport in Milton Keynes owned by Leon green he does great stuff with supra's. He's just round the corner from me. There is also a dyno in bletchley

Thanks for the advice mate.

Don't tell me there is another white supra around here....