The mkiv Supra Owners Club

'Uprated' head or standard?

Tsia

Hi guys,

Just in the midst of a big single build at the minute (BW S362, aiming for ~600hp) and I'm needing to get my head re-done. Does anybody think it's worth the extra dollar for my power goals to have a ported/polished/etc head? Or just stick with a stock head, rebuilt?

Cheers

Guest Nicholas

for your power goals I'd stick with a stock head, unless you envisage wanting more and more in which case go to town on it while it's off.

Had a look at them, the standard head needed a little work, uprated head was all ready to go - for only a few quid more. Now I've just got to pick up either some 264s or standard cams. Realistically, I'm looking for more low end, as I'll be pushing the limits of my gearbox (A340E) with an S362 already. Hmm.

The stock heads flow very well, and proper refurb with linered guides, new valves as required, new springs and the seats cut and sorted will cost plenty anyway. Add a proper port and polish and manifold matching will add over a grand more, for minimal gains. Not sure 600 BHP's worth of torque and the auto box is a good idea, I have a retirement home here for crippled auto boxes from Supras.... if you have traction and a heavy right foot you'll have dead auto boxes.

The stock heads flow very well, and proper refurb with linered guides, new valves as required, new springs and the seats cut and sorted will cost plenty anyway. Add a proper port and polish and manifold matching will add over a grand more, for minimal gains. Not sure 600 BHP's worth of torque and the auto box is a good idea, I have a retirement home here for crippled auto boxes from Supras.... if you have traction and a heavy right foot you'll have dead auto boxes.

I fully expect to have a dead box before the year is out. There was such a small difference in price between the heads (especially after the required work was performed) that I've just gone for the ported one. But hey, the twin turbos dying was my excuse for a single conversion, maybe the gearbox dying will be my excuse for the V161 ;)

My box lasted 2 months before it went. Loads of people said with a few coolers it would be fine. Nope went through two stock boxes in 5 months. As for the head stock will be fine and maybe 264 cams.

I was one of them people that said it would be fine, but i was only telling you from our experience with dads. It lasted well!

You'll love the Boostlogic box though :D

I was one of them people that said it would be fine, but i was only telling you from our experience with dads. It lasted well!

You'll love the Boostlogic box though :D

I think I'd go for a boostlogic if I couldn't get hold of a V161 - aren't they a bit cheaper as well?