The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Urgent - Cat removal advice

Attero

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you tried using a 6 sided socket, on an extension bar from under the car? You may need to tap it on.

If it is rounded, you could try using a 12 point socket and knock it on, hoping it grips. Failing that, remove the manifolds and cut them off or use what I like to call "get out of shit quick grips".

Out of interest, how would the 6 or 12 point socket help? I would have thought the more points the better?

6 point is the same shape as the nut. Often you'll find if you've got a tight bolt, a 12 point won't grip quite as well as a 6 point as there is more of the socket "missing" so to speak where the other 6 points are. 12 point is more likely to round the nut or bolt off, as the 6 point is more of a snug fit.

Now that you've tried to split it, there's not much chance of turning back, bigger hammer and more elbow grease may give you "luck".

If all else fails, removal of manifold is not much of a job, if you have a flank drive socket.

Too late now but I always remove the manifold and 1st cat as one piece and then split the joint, as when it's out of the car access is easier to get a good long breaker bar on it.

In my experience the manifold nuts always come off nicely after a good wire brush and spray and they are easily accessible. I'd still be tempted to do this now tbh it may help especially if you can get one of those sockets that works on rounded heads, that or even cut it off?

Right the last one is a sod. Its the rear mounting on the front manifold. It is having any of it. Splitter split trying to get though the bitch. So guessing cutting is the only option but how would I re fit the decay as there will be no thread. Will it be a case of drilling it out and fitting a bolt. This job is not fun.

Taking the whole exhaust manifold & cat off of an N/A will take you all of 10 minutes :) Vry easy job! Then you have the whole thing out on the floor to work with.

Seriously mate all these exhaust bolts are siezed solid. The ones joining the manifold to the block are not much better. And don't wan to be rounding them off. Have had a spanned on them but they are in there.

Yeah issue is i need it finished today as today it is my only free time. Managed to get the lower two bolts out the manifold with ease but the top ones no way they are going anywhere. Sick of this job shouldnt have started it, all because of this bloody ecu. Plus im past the point of no return really with it all in bits.