The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Help me with fault finding - 2JZ-GTE won't rev - HKS F-CON Gold

Clausz

Hi everyone

After 2 years of rebuilding my supra, I have an slight issue. The engine won't rev above 3000 rpm, it seems like a limp mode or something like that. After a complete engine rebuild, new internal, new turbo, new intake, new injectors and so on. None of which shouldn't be relevant to the fault I'm experiencing.

It started by, I though it was due to the upgrade from 720cc low impedance to 1000cc high impedance. I went to my local tuner, experienced supra tuner, and after 1 hour of rechecking the map and further faults in the box he called me, and meant that the injectors was defect(or at least not giving fuel as 1000cc should). Wen revving the car hits 3000rpm and the lambda gauge goes lean (>22). I brought the car back and at first changed the injectors to 720cc, but no changes.

I made some videoes:

https://youtu.be/keZmox4NDjQ - engine revving and "limping" around 3000rpm.

https://youtu.be/WHOHz0z63mE - lambda guage going lean.

What I have already checked:

1. Checked the HKS FCON for sensor faults = No one found
  2. Checked the Stock ECU for sensor faults = Found two knock sensors wasn't connected, fixed but no change.
  3. Checked voltage on injectors = 14,3-14,6volts
  4. Put ground on igniter module = no change
  5. Put ground on Resister box = no change
  6. Checked timing, 15-17 degrees in idle

I made two other findings, which I find strange.

1: When I pull the plug to the ECU water temp sensor, the engine is running a lot nicer and idles better. But still have the max 3000rpm issue.

2: If I start it immediately and rev it, it goes above 3000rpm, and then suddenly drops to 3000rpm. Please see video: https://youtu.be/rcY2tVbpBUs

So here is the complete list of things changed during the rebuild:

New internals

Changed from a aftermarket intake manifold to stock intake

Removed TRAC

Removed ABS

Moved fuse box to the rear compartment

New turbo

Anyone who has some great ideas of what to look for next? I'm loosing my courage with this issue.

Best Regards Claus

Have you got the software to read sensors via the HKS ecu? Without having your own HKS ECU software you will find diagnosing this sort of thing near impossible if the fault is encoding in the ecu.

My tip is NEVER EVER buy an ecu that does not come with full control software if you intend any hands on engine work yourself.

Can you even go as far as pulling a log from it to send to your mapper?

Hi Chris, I do agree. The car was bought with a HKS installed, and I therefore had no intentions of changing that, as it actually worked a couple of years ago. If I had the choice right now, I wouldn't fit a new HKS, there are so many other options.

I arranged with the mapper, that I will take the car out to him on thursday, and he will start faultfinding.

I feel for you, these problems, when you have an after market ECU, leave you wondering if it's the ECU or an engine sensor fault. Once you can access the software for the ECU and read the sensors as the *ECU* is reading them, helps immensely. The HKS ECU is very competent for an old(ish) school one, but if o0nly the mapper can read data it's very limiting. An end user who just wants a map, and is happy to enjoy things, and just take it back to a garage with the software if things go wrong will not notice the difference, but if you are a "tinkerer" and like changing stuff, the lack of access to software is a *MAJOR* limitation. I hope you get it sorted soon, it's probably something quite simple to fix, once you find the problem.