The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Power steering fail AGAIN

hogmaw

It's a pipe that keeps bursting. Same pipe each time. I suspect the pressure might be too high, perhaps a new pump would sort it?

Sounds like a blockage rather than the pump. It would be best to give the system a full flush. The pump puts out some serious pressure but it's the other end that the "relief" is at. It sounds as if the system is pressurising great, but the relief isn't working properly. Likely a blockage or faulty valve.

I'm not entirely sure how the system works, but in it's simplest form I think that makes the most sense.

Which hose is bursting? Photo?

The pump has a pressure regulator valve in it, if stuck or sticking it could cause abnormal pressures, especially if the steering is held against the lock stops, which is a very bad practice anyway. The rack itself could have issues which could cause abnormal pressures to be attained. It's all very simple hydraulics, but used racks can be very iffy, and a new one will be over a grand I would guess. Pumps can be rebuilt, no problem, I do loads of them, assuming the bodies are not damaged.

Have you made sure the filter in the bottom of the reservoir isn't blocked, it is a metal mesh in the bottom and should be Silver.

If you take it off and shine a light in the bottom 2 pipes you should be able to clearly see the light coming through from the top, if you can't get cleaning, petrol or carb cleaner does the job, just give it a good through clean and flush

Blockages on the SUCTION side will give low pressure or erratic steering effort, it could be totally blocked and the pressure would not go too high, so I doubt it's that. It should of course be washed out and looked at though :)

That makes sense Chris :)

This happened 3 times on mine it ended up been the return pipe got a price from toyota for the rubber pipe ooh no you have to buy the full piping at a nice £400 in the end my mate at dream science spliced some braided hose on to the metal pipe at the cost of £10 been spot on ever since.