The mkiv Supra Owners Club

VVTI Tiptronic Gearbox Info

MattP

Does anybody on here have any idea how to service or clean the solenoids in the Tiptronic Box.

My issue is my autobox is driving fine in full auto mode but when put in Manual mode the M just flashes and wont give a gear read out or allow the buttons to change gear.

I was at Jurgens yesterday to ask about the issue and I was told to clean the auto soleniods but I cant find any info on how to do it or indeed where they are located I am ok in changing the auto box filter so I am confident on getting the sump off etc.

Can anyone help?

Before anyone asks yes the autobox level is full when checked with the correct procedure and yes it is a nice cherry red not burnt brown sludge..

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Drop sump, undo 10mm bolt on solenoid(s), squib with carburettor cleaner, do up 10mm bolt and refit sump. :)

Thats what I mean Dave I have no clue what a soleniod looks like do you or anyone have a picture of what the supra ones look like and how many I should find in a Tiptronic box.

Jurgen cant fit the car in until the 12th and I have more than enough space and time to attack this job myself I just need a basic do and donts...

There are 3 solenoids in an N/A, 5 in a T.T, 7 in a 5-speed auto and have no idea how many in a Tiptronic?

It's not rocket science, just take them out, clean and replace.

Do them one at a time, because some are normally open and others normally closed and they may look identical.

Use a torque wrench for the lightly torqued bolts and keep everything as clean as brain surgery.

Here's a link to some pics that will give you some idea what to expect.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?233707-Project-Supracharger&p=3080115#post3080115

There are 3 solenoids in an N/A, 5 in a T.T, 7 in a 5-speed auto and have no idea how many in a Tiptronic?

It's not rocket science, just take them out, clean and replace.

Do them one at a time, because some are normally open and others normally closed and they may look identical.

Use a torque wrench for the lightly torqued bolts and keep everything as clean as brain surgery.

Here's a link to some pics that will give you some idea what to expect.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?233707-Project-Supracharger&p=3080115#post3080115

Does my gearbox problem sound consistant with a dirty soleniod dave? IE: it not allowing manual control yet it drives 100% in auto

Just clean what you find and whilst you're at it, take and post a pic of what you see.

very well..

Thanks for your help

- - - Updated - - -

I would check that the Tiptronic buttons are doing their job?

I checked yesterday as this was my concern but yes they are all hooked up.

But then I thought that even if they packed up the display would still give a gear read out which it currently does not..

very well..

Thanks for your help

- - - Updated - - -

I checked yesterday as this was my concern but yes they are all hooked up.

But then I thought that even if they packed up the display would still give a gear read out which it currently does not..

I think you're getting warm. :think:

Just confirm that when you press a button it actually sends electricity to the ECU.

The button wires can be id'd at each end by their colours.

I agree, sounds more like signals not getting to places rather than a hydro-mechanical issue with the solenoids. Same solenoids are in use during full auto, as far as I know, (what say you David...?), so if they were sticking they would cause issues in full auto mode as well as under button control. I always advise people against buying Tiptronics, because of just this sort of thing, there are no manuals that I have ever seen, English or Japanese, detailing operation, and with full schematics. It makes it VERY hard to diagnose without that sort of level of info :( They can become a real PITA.

I agree, sounds more like signals not getting to places rather than a hydro-mechanical issue with the solenoids. Same solenoids are in use during full auto, as far as I know, (what say you David...?), so if they were sticking they would cause issues in full auto mode as well as under button control. I always advise people against buying Tiptronics, because of just this sort of thing, there are no manuals that I have ever seen, English or Japanese, detailing operation, and with full schematics. It makes it VERY hard to diagnose without that sort of level of info :( They can become a real PITA.

I agree with your agreement. :D

I've yet to see inside one of these Tiptronic units, the difference if any, will be in the valve-body.