The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Full Respray cost?

Bull3t

I guys,

When I bought my Supra, I new this question will come up for me. The paint work on the car looks a bit tatty, and has bobbles coming up on the rear spoiler and roof.

Also I have slight damage on the rear bumper, but other then that the body is really straight.

I was quoted £2000 for a full re-spray, do you think that's reasonable?

This is the first time I have considered doing something like this, so not sure if that's good or not.

I know there are links that will help me out in this site, but just wanted your opinions please.

Thanks.

£2k sounds OK. It depends where you live though, and what the current rates are. £2k is around what I would expect to pay here, in Greater London I would have thought it would be a lot more expensive though?

Like everything in the World, it's all relative. Shop around for quotes and get a feel for what the average cost is. Get a look at some of their work, pay attention to shut lines and different coloured trim.... etc. Have a close look at the finish of the paint. Taking all of that into account should allow you to make your own informed decision of how much it'll cost.

You need to find samples of there work if you can, try not to look at the price tag if possible..

The bodyshop who started mine was though work which i knew the guy for a few years..ended up a real nightmare and lost alot of money. Next bodyshop i done my research and the end result i was over the moon with. I would check out other work of theres, have a meeting with them and tell them exactly what you want done, get a estaimate of the work to be carried out, Agree a time frame when the car would be finished etc etc

You could also get some other qoutes from other bodyshops, you will see if its cheap or not for the work you want done

Edited by mplavery (see edit history)

I paid £2500 for mine a few years ago. That was glass in, with the engine bay and boot shuts staying the old colour (my preference) and by someone I know and get discount because I send them a lot of jobs.

For £2k I'd expect no more than a rub down and respray.

Personally I'd want a all imperfections removed before the spray, which would probably bump the cost up.

I paid £2500 for mine a few years ago. That was glass in, with the engine bay and boot shuts staying the old colour (my preference) and by someone I know and get discount because I send them a lot of jobs.

Personally I'd want a all imperfections removed before the spray, which would probably bump the cost up.

That's some mate lol.

Mine was done for £1400 including fitting the bodykit and smoothing it all in :D

If there's rust, you'll need that fitted before you get it painted and that might be very expensive to do properly.

Also, £2k for what I'd consider a 'proper' respray is absolute peanuts. I'd expect at least twice that if not lots more.

That's some mate lol.

Mine was done for £1400 including fitting the bodykit and smoothing it all in :D

It was a rush job. I only gave him 10 days to get it all done, around all his other work. His staff had to work overtime to get it finished in time, so that's why it cost me what it did, I had to effectively pay his guys their overtime wage.

It was a rush job. I only gave him 10 days to get it all done, around all his other work. His staff had to work overtime to get it finished in time, so that's why it cost me what it did, I had to effectively pay his guys their overtime wage.

That's good in 10 days. Mine was over a month :)

Thanks for the advice guys, really appreciate it. I'll have a look at some of the work this guy has done in the past. I really need it done either way, the white is turning a nasty faint cream colour on the rear bumper. :(

I'm based in Croydon, Surrey, so sounds about average price range for me then in seems.

Try out places in Kent mate, its about an hour away. My MR2 got resprayed really well for £800 in Kent. Just an outside repair/respray with glass out in factory colour

That's some mate lol.

£2500 cheap

You don't wanna know what I paid lol

If you got a good job for £1400 you done well !

£2500 cheap

You don't wanna know what I paid lol

If you got a good job for £1400 you done well !

Not really, all quotes I got around here were the 1-2k mark. It just depends what the going rate is where you live and how much the overheads are of the place you get the work done in.

Don't get me wrong, he did mis-quote slightly as once he was finished he said if he was doing it again he would charge an extra £500-£1k due to the blending being more time consuming than he anticipated :innocent:

Mines gotta be up near the £5000 mark now

Been in five months with a month or two break

Was fully stripped before hand and had smoothed engine bay (I did all welding), was put on rollover jig and underside stripped and stonechipped then painted

The guy doing it is a long time friend and let's me work on the car as much as I can under his supervision haha

Find it much better helping out it keeps me part of the whole build.

Ever panel taken back to bare metal aswell.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1430646560.487446.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1430646630.665454.jpg

I'm getting mine done this summer, my mates had his NSX done from them & they did a good job.

Full Re-spray in Storm Blue

£1600 which includes glass out job+Door cards etc

£1200 without the glass removed/door cards

Don't look like they took the back bumper off tho? And just taped up looms even tho it takes ten minutes to pull them out.

That would make me think if they didn't do that what else didn't get prep.

But guess £2000 isn't a bad price...

Edited by buster (see edit history)