The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Why are aerotops more popular?

Noz

I have to admit, I've always had a warm place in my heart for a nice aero manual. But why?

What is it that draws us to them. I've read some people aren't so keen, think they are a bit too "show off" for their liking and prefer the hardtop.

Seen loads of wanted threads. Which is most definitely sending the price of them up higher due to demand.

What's peoples personal reasons for liking them so much.

I would say comes down mostly to personal preference. I have had 3 hardtops and 2 aero's one thing I will tell you is the aerotop's do not handle anywhere near as good as the hardtop. I don't think it's too show off I could be biased as I have one but being a targa I don't think its anywhere near as bad as a full on convertible see the back of your head job bmw/merc style that's to flash for me. However there is something really nice about cruising with the roof off in the sun and you can hear the turbo noises twice as loud with the roof off

I had to get one and enjoyed taking the roof off once maybe twice but compared to modern day convertibles it is too much of a pain having to do up bolts etc especially if you get caught in the rain

It is a pain especially if you want to get away quick , lucky I only use mine in the summer so its not to bad. I hate modern convertibles especially those with the hair dresser rear wind screen so your hair does not blow around looks gash ,most of them the rear end has to be totally re-shaped to fit all the electric/arms roof stuff you end up with a built up back end to the car.

Edited by chazuk (see edit history)

I have to agree that it is a pain having to do up bolts especially being caught in the rain, but it's so worth it when we do have a little sunshine. I have always been drawn to having an aerotop, and the main reason for me has to be the fact that I honestly think they look slightly better.

I could be completely wrong, but it's an opinion.

I'm not sure how rare they are, I've tried to look into it online and there isn't a lot of info on the figures. Unless someone on here can pull some figures up :p

Well I wouldn't have said there more popular but being as it is summer and the sun is beginning to appear people want the roof off i guess. Reason for me getting a Aero is that I have never had a convertible and it was always a dream to have a Aero Turbo TT or single Manual supra.

For me the roof will only ever be off when it is sunny so I don't get caught in the rain. Or its a clear night and I take the misses out and we overlook the town with the roof out and we can also stargaze. I loved being down Bude way as it was in the country side and we could see all the stars was amazingly clear night would have been perfect if I had the supra then.

Conclusion for me is that there are more wanted adds just on the fact that it is summer time now :) as for rarity maybe it is worth starting a list like the UK Spec Supras have?

I love the look of a Supra with the roof off and can see that it would be amazing on a summer's day but I have never actually been in one so cant comment any more than that.

P.s. there was the little hint about never being in one put in there for when I see any of you aerotop owners at future meets ;) lol

It just adds a bit extra to a supra, i have had two hard tops and my current aero. The summer is great on an aero, and the winter makes no difference.

The roof really isnt that much of a deal, its parking lock is handy when nipping to the shops and if you get caught out its a 2 minute job to put on.

Edited by The Raven (see edit history)

As some of you said, when the sun is out its epic being in an aero, and as mentioned above the noises are multiplied. I went to the Lakes recently and thoroughly enjoyed it

Q picture... ;)

attachment.php?attachmentid=200686&stc=1&d=1430407407

This would also be a massive influence for most of us having an aero...

attachment.php?attachmentid=200687&stc=1&d=1430407561

OCUK-.jpg

images.jpg

I love the look of a Supra with the roof off and can see that it would be amazing on a summer's day but I have never actually been in one so cant comment any more than that.

P.s. there was the little hint about never being in one put in there for when I see any of you aerotop owners at future meets ;) lol

If its running for the summer meet will have to go out roofless :) if it isnt raining :p

As some of you said, when the sun is out its epic being in an aero, and as mentioned above the noises are multiplied. I went to the Lakes recently and thoroughly enjoyed it

Q picture... ;)

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=200686&stc=1&d=1430407407

This would also be a massive influence for most of us having an aero...

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=200687&stc=1&d=1430407561

looks stunning :D

Never liked aerotops, just not a fan of the look of the car with the roof off really, can't explain it!

Doesn't mean I can't appreciate a nicely built one when I see it mind but if I had the choice of buying a hardtop vs aerotop then it has to be the hardtop for me!

Never liked aerotops, just not a fan of the look of the car with the roof off really, can't explain it!

Doesn't mean I can't appreciate a nicely built one when I see it mind but if I had the choice of buying a hardtop vs aerotop then it has to be the hardtop for me!

I don't mind them with the roof off.... much better than spoilerless :D

I don't mind them with the roof off.... much better than spoilerless :D

Don't get me started with spoilerless... my mate (who drives a ford mondeo - tdci) told me that I shouldn't bother driving a Supra with the spoiler on and that they look 100x times better without one. Told him to F#!* off :D