The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Getting the best 0-60 / Time

krisgowing

Alright guys.

Looking to get a TT 6-speed but because of my insurance and you've gotta start somewhere I have a stock NA auto.

I've read a few threads so far and am I correct in getting the best start and speed would be:

Use power braking (read the threads on how to do this)

Have the auto box in manual mode ,

Start in Low till close to the red line. (first gear)

Change to 2 and keep till close to red line. (second gear)

Then into D for 3rd.

First automatic I've owned so just a bit of advice on when I need it to get the best out of it.

You don't need to change into 3rd gear to reach 60mph :D And there's no point manually changing gear, if you're flooring the accelerator it will hold the upshift until the last minute. The manual mode on the autobox is more for driving on twisty roads.

You don't need to change into 3rd gear to reach 60mph :D And there's no point manually changing gear, if you're flooring the accelerator it will hold the upshift until the last minute. The manual mode on the autobox is more for driving on twisty roads.

That was for the fun after 60mph :D ,

Just read on the threads that doing it this way would change gear quicker, which would help with the time or not really.

Edited by krisgowing (see edit history)

Eh? :D

I read this:

''MANU makes the transitions between gears faster. The ECTS throttle system cuts back on the throttle during gearchanges, and in MANU mode it cuts back less, therefore making the shifts harsher but losing a bit less acceleration during the gearchange.''

I read this:

''MANU makes the transitions between gears faster. The ECTS throttle system cuts back on the throttle during gearchanges, and in MANU mode it cuts back less, therefore making the shifts harsher but losing a bit less acceleration during the gearchange.''

I know that. You post didn't make sense though or it did.

:)

You're not really going to be setting the world ablaze so I wouldn't worry too much about the manual mode vs just letting it run. I doubt the TC holds back the power in an N/A anyway. BTW, I'm not NA bashing here, just being objective about how it is.

If you can get yourself a hold of a performance meter then you would be able to experiment between manual and full auto. You would need to be really handy with the manual mode and time everything perfectly to beat the full auto though. As previously said, it's more for the twisties and holding a gear while cornering etc.

You're not really going to be setting the world ablaze so I wouldn't worry too much about the manual mode vs just letting it run. I doubt the TC holds back the power in an N/A anyway. BTW, I'm not NA bashing here, just being objective about how it is.

If you can get yourself a hold of a performance meter then you would be able to experiment between manual and full auto. You would need to be really handy with the manual mode and time everything perfectly to beat the full auto though. As previously said, it's more for the twisties and holding a gear while cornering etc.

I was just curious that's all, Look forward to my TT sure I will notice a big difference then :D

Yeah, imagine there isn't much in it.

Thanks for the help :)

- - - Updated - - -

Just use the overdrive, makes no difference using manual in my experience.

Yeah I have done and to be honest i don't see much difference with that either.

I did read up on fast-launches for auto cars, and the consensus is messing about with techniques is a good way to break your transmission (E.g. building up revs in neutral adn then putting it into drive - is this even possible in Supras?) . So be careful and avoid doing too much, just enjoy it for what it is