The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Is this boost guage ok?

Getrag

I need to get a new 52mm guage as my present one only reads to 20psi. Although I'll be keeping it to 18psi with a ring, I dont want to be reading it at the edge of the guage each time.

Anyway, will this one do the trick (£55). It doesnt have a peak-hold which would be nice but looks good and good price. Finally, any other recommendations at a competitive price?

http://www.apexperformance.co.uk/catalog/default.php?PHPSESSID=5aa95f6c7cc88024663a0c45b66e3883&manufacturers_id=35&PHPSESSID=5aa95f6c7cc88024663a0c45b66e3883

http://www.apexperformance.co.uk/catalog/images/4703large.jpg

Ok, thanks. As you can see my guage is located on the left side of the dash with the pipework going through the airvent. So it would be good to keep it mechanical so I can just put the new one in its place.

http://www.showoffyourcar.com/cars/TOYOTA/7708.jpg

I've never had a problem with Autometer gauges and my boost one showed identical boost to my GReddy Profec B Spec II controller... the boost displayed was also the same as a calibrated boost gauge plumbed into the car at Dastek on a RR day. AFAIK all the other Scottish SXOC owners had similar findings at the RR days.

Cheers,

Brian.

Chris Wilson can supply a good quality, accurate, reasonably priced (less than £50 inc P&P) boost gauge. Pic attached.

Personally I'm not into spending loads on a gauge that does everything including make the tea, when all you need is an accurate real time reading. There's a lot more exciting things to spend money on.

boostgauge.jpg

Cheers for the info..

Holly, I would like to get something just now that reads a bit more.

Shaf, Would probably like to keep mechanical but thanks a lot for the offer.

Hadyn, pod guage came with and I cant see any names on it. Its pretty nifty though.

tDR, thanks, that is reasuring.

geoffvalenti, cheers, Ill look into those ones.

I'd go for the Racetech one that Chris WIlson sells, you can get them from Demon Tweeks and companies like them. It would be my choice over the Autometer gauge, as IMHO, the autometer is made to look flashy with the carbon face. I've heard good things about the racetech and I know a lot of Cossies that use them with no problems.

Chris Wilson can supply a good quality, accurate, reasonably priced (less than £50 inc P&P) boost gauge. Pic attached.

Personally I'm not into spending loads on a gauge that does everything including make the tea, when all you need is an accurate real time reading. There's a lot more exciting things to spend money on.

sorry to be negative geoff but i've got one of these hung up on the garage wall, next time i go fishing i'me going to use it as a weight, it was absolute b***x, at full boost it would flutter violently between 0.8 and 1.2 bar the needle was a blur (and it made a horrible noise) and it was unreadable i binned it and got a second hand hks peak and hold which is rock solid and highly accurate, imho if you buy cheap with a boost gauge you will just end up buying twice

sorry to be negative geoff but i've got one of these hung up on the garage wall, next time i go fishing i'me going to use it as a weight,

You're not being negative Paul, just speaking from your experience.

I've got to say that mine works fine, needle is nice and smooth and easy to read (except when you're screaming along flat out, and daren't take your eyes off the road for a millisecond :))

After all is said and done, its only a pressure gauge, fairly low pressure at that, if it can't be produced and sold for under £50, then there's something amiss