The mkiv Supra Owners Club

MOT failures - on what?

rider

My car has just passed it's 16th MOT and I've owned it through all 16.

MOT tester comment was has it really been a year since.... It sailed through again, as it has every other time. Do Supras ever fail their MOT's, what are the normal failure items? Is my car unusual, its still running the original bulbs apart from headlights that I upgraded to HID?

"Dangerously" binding front Jap brake calipers since I drove 400 miles up the M1 and A1 to Edinburgh and back when they'd just salted the entire journey.

Yey.

It wasn't even wet.

Had no problems until then. Ridiculously reliable cars, hence so few replies I guess! :)

That's because england is extremely lax with their rules :p, Over here it's nearly impossible, some examples why importing cars from england or modded cars in general is a pain in the butt in belgium

- Lights incorrect

- Non OEM suspension (they even cried about the toyota bilstein i had)

- Engine swaps are illegal (even if it's the exact same model, swapping a 2JZ GE with another 2JZGE is not allowed without letting the government change your papers with the engine code on it) You can't see the engine code so u can do it & cheat on it, but still it's a risc :p

- Other then OEM brakes, not allowed

- 90% of the exhausts are illegal due to not having a "european approved" paper. Few exceptions are made when importing, i was lucky because it was quiet enough & passed the emission test.

- need 11CM of distance between the lowest part of the car & the ground

- CARBON IS A NO NO

- Towhooks aren't allowed

- Not allowed to install lambo doors that aren't european approved. EU approved hinges including papers are just mad expensive.

- Startbuttons aren't allowed lol

- Spacers, not allowed

- Engine tuning as far as it comes to upgrading turbos, or turbocharging a car that's not a turbo by default, not allowed without getting your papers changed.

I just named the most silliest things & some obvious things, but yea. When buying a supra here, the more stock, the beter or u'll be spending tons of time to prep it for MOT & den rebuild it once it passed for another year. lol

Alot of these things are "allowed" if you have approval of the car constructer itself. (For the supra case, this means you get an official paper of toyota that says "you are allowed to put this on the car with that chassis number". Carbon hoods, trunks, brakes, etc are examples of this). The reason why i put "allowed" is because toyota will never allow that xD, so it's pointless to even try.

Rear suspension arms have accounted for a few failures from memory, that and emissions which aren't always 100% valid reasons for failure.

My rear trailing link arms were an advisory last year for corrosion but weren't even mentioned this year since I scrunched the top layer of rust off between my fingers like Weetabix!

All trademarks are the property of their respective owners and in no way do I intend to imply that Weetabix tastes like or has the same consistency as rusty car suspension components, (although it did bear a striking resemblance to my old MKIII Supra rear wishbones, as I recall).

Indeed, Weetabix is infact an enjoyable and wholesome product of significant nutritional value, particularly when sprinkled on food.

Edited by Morpheus (see edit history)

There are some properly fit women in Belgium and I wouldn't mind importing one of them into the UK! ;)

Do you take part in the National bird singing competition every Saturday morning or the guess where the cow will crap contest??

I saw a documentary once with Jeremy Clarkson when he went there to document the hobbies and lifestyles of the Belgians.

That's because england is extremely lax with their rules :p, Over here it's nearly impossible, some examples why importing cars from england or modded cars in general is a pain in the butt in belgium

- Lights incorrect

- Non OEM suspension (they even cried about the toyota bilstein i had)

- Engine swaps are illegal (even if it's the exact same model, swapping a 2JZ GE with another 2JZGE is not allowed without letting the government change your papers with the engine code on it) You can't see the engine code so u can do it & cheat on it, but still it's a risc :p

- Other then OEM brakes, not allowed

- 90% of the exhausts are illegal due to not having a "european approved" paper. Few exceptions are made when importing, i was lucky because it was quiet enough & passed the emission test.

- need 11CM of distance between the lowest part of the car & the ground

- CARBON IS A NO NO

- Towhooks aren't allowed

- Not allowed to install lambo doors that aren't european approved. EU approved hinges including papers are just mad expensive.

- Startbuttons aren't allowed lol

- Spacers, not allowed

- Engine tuning as far as it comes to upgrading turbos, or turbocharging a car that's not a turbo by default, not allowed without getting your papers changed.

I just named the most silliest things & some obvious things, but yea. When buying a supra here, the more stock, the beter or u'll be spending tons of time to prep it for MOT & den rebuild it once it passed for another year. lol

Alot of these things are "allowed" if you have approval of the car constructer itself. (For the supra case, this means you get an official paper of toyota that says "you are allowed to put this on the car with that chassis number". Carbon hoods, trunks, brakes, etc are examples of this). The reason why i put "allowed" is because toyota will never allow that xD, so it's pointless to even try.

My car has just passed it's 16th MOT and I've owned it through all 16.

MOT tester comment was has it really been a year since.... It sailed through again, as it has every other time. Do Supras ever fail their MOT's, what are the normal failure items? Is my car unusual, its still running the original bulbs apart from headlights that I upgraded to HID?

Come to think of it, I did have to replace a rear bulb the other week when the brake filament snapped. Only lasted 18 years! :blink:

There are some properly fit women in Belgium and I wouldn't mind importing one of them into the UK! ;)

Do you take part in the National bird singing competition every Saturday morning or the guess where the cow will crap contest??

I saw a documentary once with Jeremy Clarkson when he went there to document the hobbies and lifestyles of the Belgians.

haha :D, neither tbh lol, i don't like birds, they poop on cars :p. And guess where the cow will crap isn't in my province, that's for west flanders where all the farmers are xD

When it comes to cars though, no comment anymore lol; the rules here are so silly

Rear suspension arms have accounted for a few failures from memory, that and emissions which aren't always 100% valid reasons for failure.

Yeah mine failed last year for Upper Rear Suspension Arm Ball Joints (one fail one advisory) changed them both and sailed through re-test and this years MOT. Not had an issue with emission even though it's BPU'd.

From the paperwork I have, it's never failed since import in 2003 :D

Had the MOT done a few months back, sailed through.

Starting to get a few electrical gremlins with it now though (one of the bulbs has blown behind the speedo dial face and the dash warning lights which is probably the solder joints (abs, oil etc) seem to only light up when they want to! Mechanical issues? Nothing and we're approaching 100k miles now.

Only had a few pipes changed at whifbitz last year due to age!

Ok since this just happened today

This dude of 24 years old close to brussels bought a nissan R34 GTR & tuned it to having around 600 HP. Cops stopped him for not having a legal license plate & started questioning if his insurance was covering the full performance of the car, eventually he had to go with the cops to the bureau to verify some stuff, his car has been offroad for a year now. The government wants him to restore it to stock & prove the performance is stock again before allowing it back on the road. Just to prove to you how dumb my country actually is when it comes to cars. But all those german cars that you can chip & have extra 100 HP + sure, that's legal, but fuck someone cos they have a hobby, GG.

Incase you guys wanna read the article (it's in dutch so u'll have to use google translate)

http://www.hln.be/regio/nieuws-uit-ninove/politie-neemt-showwagens-in-beslag-a2302956/?utm_campaign=regio-r-link&utm_medium=social&utm_source=Facebook&utm_content=regio

You might want to edit that post slightly as unfortunately the forum also has strict rules. :)

You can get away with it if they like you. Or in my case, grudgingly tolerate you - just!

Ok since this just happened today

This dude of 24 years old close to brussels bought a nissan R34 GTR & tuned it to having around 600 HP. Cops stopped him for not having a legal license plate & started questioning if his insurance was covering the full performance of the car, eventually he had to go with the cops to the bureau to verify some stuff, his car has been offroad for a year now. The government wants him to restore it to stock & prove the performance is stock again before allowing it back on the road. Just to prove to you how dumb my country actually is when it comes to cars. But all those german cars that you can chip & have extra 100 HP + sure, that's legal, but f**k someone cos they have a hobby, GG.

Incase you guys wanna read the article (it's in dutch so u'll have to use google translate)

http://www.hln.be/regio/nieuws-uit-ninove/politie-neemt-showwagens-in-beslag-a2302956/?utm_campaign=regio-r-link&utm_medium=social&utm_source=Facebook&utm_content=regio