The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Paintwork , to repair or wrap.

krisgowing

Afternoon Guys.

My 93' Silver Supra has a couple rust spots on the window sill which I'm going to get repaired.

The rest of the paintwork isn't to bad a couple small dents on each door from where another car door has hit it with previous owners.

One door is a bit faded and there is a few marks and stone chips and marks where the paintwork has come off a little ( someone down the pub called it 50 shades of grey haha)

I've been quoted on having all the little marks fixed but without doing the rest of the panel and blending it in its never going to look as good as new.

i'm thinking about going to a few places to get quotes just to make sure i can get the best price problem is you need a day just to go visit them all.

Ofcourse a respray is out the question but what is everyone's thoughts on maybe a wrap , probably white.

Any advice or opinions welcome guys :D

Kris.

If your paintwork is poor in areas with rust spots around window sills etc, then just by having it wrapped, those bad areas are simply going to become even worse over time. The wrap will have a shelf life before it becomes tatty and starts to lift around the edges. Once removed, the wrap cost will be down the drain and your still left with paintwork that needs resolving. Which will now be at a higher cost as the damage/rust will have spread even further. I don't see it as a wise move to mask problems with a wrap. Save the money and do it properly.

As said above, wraps are also not cheap, especially if you want it done correctly so that door/boot sills are not displaying a different colour, I know I would soon find that very tiring each time I got in the car.

If you have an air compressor or access to one I'd recommend giving the paint job a go yourself. You can buy touch up guns with a 0.8mm nozzle (£25) for fine touch up area work which I have used with a surprising degree of success on an MGB I've touched up (well it was more than a touch up - 800ml of paint later). So long as you get a good colour match and any good auto paint shop that retails to the trade should be able to colour match into aerosols or paint.

If you can't get hold of an air compressor then colour matched rattle cans work well.

I was a reluctant body repair and paint sprayer but after dabbling with my MGB sorting out chips and minor surface rust I've just done a whole re-spray on a Land Rover last week with pretty decent results. There are loads of youtube videos on how to prep and spray paint, including setting up the gun properly. From small touch up jobs to full panel paints. I found out it all comes down to surface prep which is laborious and fast confident spraying.

Edited by rider (see edit history)

If you have an air compressor or access to one I'd recommend giving the paint job a go yourself. You can buy touch up guns with a 0.8mm nozzle (£25) for fine touch up area work which I have used with a surprising degree of success on an MGB I've touched up (well it was more than a touch up - 800ml of paint later). So long as you get a good colour match and any good auto paint shop that retails to the trade should be able to colour match into aerosols or paint.

If you can't get hold of an air compressor then colour matched rattle cans work well.

I was a reluctant body repair and paint sprayer but after dabbling with my MGB sorting out chips and minor surface rust I've just done a whole re-spray on a Land Rover last week with pretty decent results. There are loads of youtube videos on how to prep and spray paint, including setting up the gun properly. From small touch up jobs to full panel paints. I found out it all comes down to surface prep which is laborious and fast confident spraying.

Don't know how i feel trusting myself with repairing the paintwork myself haha.:blink:

Paintwork is easy. But it'll look crap unless a pro does it. An average joe, will still make it look crack compared to a pro. Painting is a real art.

However, a tatty attempt will prolong corrosion much better than wrap or leaving it. Unless you do it yourself on a budget until you can afford a pro, just settle for the best and get a pro to sort it out in the first place.

In your situation wrapping in my opinion is liking putting a plaster on a bullet wound.

Paintwork is easy. But it'll look crap unless a pro does it. An average joe, will still make it look crack compared to a pro. Painting is a real art.

However, a tatty attempt will prolong corrosion much better than wrap or leaving it. Unless you do it yourself on a budget until you can afford a pro, just settle for the best and get a pro to sort it out in the first place.

In your situation wrapping in my opinion is liking putting a plaster on a bullet wound.

Yeah I agree, I'm getting it done.

The wrap suggestion was once the rust spots were fixed then just to cover up the faded and scratched , faded paintwork.

I wish i could afford a whole respray, in only :(

Kris.

From the pics it really doesn't look that bad. My car is in for a respray at the moment and the paint was a LOT worse than what you have there. I couldn't afford it either, just chuck it on the credit card and pay it off, that's what they are there for :) You can always get the bad bits sorted without doing a full spray.

From the pics it really doesn't look that bad. My car is in for a respray at the moment and the paint was a LOT worse than what you have there. I couldn't afford it either, just chuck it on the credit card and pay it off, that's what they are there for :) You can always get the bad bits sorted without doing a full spray.

It's not to bad but it's hard to see from the photo's , The rust on the window edge is my priority the faded spots and area's I guess will be the next.

Was quoted 430 to do both the rust , faded marks, chips and do the headlights as they are cloudy, Think that's pretty reasonable

Paint, if the paint is damaged then its not protecting the metal under there. Wrap wont. Paint looks better to! imagine putting wrap over surface rust...=MESSY.

The suggestion was to fix the rust before the wrap :D was never to put a wrap over rust I'm not that much of a newbie ;)

The suggestion was to fix the rust before the wrap :D was never to put a wrap over rust I'm not that much of a newbie ;)

The maths don't add up though.

Touch up and wrap is money lost whereas a proper respray will enhance the value and make a real difference to the car.

Plus I wouldn't ever get a car wrapped on freshly done paint - when you pull the wrap off your paint will come with it then you've got an even bigger bill having just spent loads on the touch up and wrap.

Basic common sense says either touch up and leave it or get a full respray and increase the value.

The maths don't add up though.

Touch up and wrap is money lost whereas a proper respray will enhance the value and make a real difference to the car.

Plus I wouldn't ever get a car wrapped on freshly done paint - when you pull the wrap off your paint will come with it then you've got an even bigger bill having just spent loads on the touch up and wrap.

Basic common sense says either touch up and leave it or get a full respray and increase the value.

Okay then , thanks for the advice.

I'll get the touch ups until my bank can afford the full respray :D

£450 is very cheap for paint work Imo

But I looked for quality over price with my supra paintwork

Full strip ,bare metal, seal, prep, and spray I have gotta be near £5000 and that's with me helping a lot.

But I'm only doing it once so. Might as well do it right !

If you do pay £450 for multiple panel to have work done take a look at other cars he has done. Ask him how far he will blend paint/lacquer as doing little (smart repairs) often leave halos around the area done. And leads to a proper job later (blending bigger areas/whole panels)

£450 is very cheap for paint work Imo

But I looked for quality over price with my supra paintwork

Full strip ,bare metal, seal, prep, and spray I have gotta be near £5000 and that's with me helping a lot.

But I'm only doing it once so. Might as well do it right !

If you do pay £450 for multiple panel to have work done take a look at other cars he has done. Ask him how far he will blend paint/lacquer as doing little (smart repairs) often leave halos around the area done. And leads to a proper job later (blending bigger areas/whole panels)

His done all kind of classic cars and his been in the business for years and years. His planning on blending the paintwork in as where the worst of the rust marks are on the panel's sides. I have no doubt he would be the wrong man for the job.

No, didn't paint above either of the arches. Good guess though. It is actually painted the wire wheels, both arches and the sills up to the bottom of the door level. On the other side of the car there was some surface rust on the lip of that rear arch which I did paint but this side was fine apart from the rims. Even if you are up close you can't tell its been painted, its a quality job from someone with little painting experience.

So, for the sake of £40 on paint, lacquer, filler and sanding sheets if it was me I'd give it a go. If it works out then £400 saved. If it doesn't then its going to look better than it does and maybe good enough to live with. So, nothing to lose really by giving it a go and if it works out you can stand back and admire your work which I do every time I wheel out the MGB that I splashed almost 600ml of paint over bringing it up to my required standard.

Edited by rider (see edit history)