The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Walkerstriders NA-T aerotop build

walkerstrider

First of all got a spare ge motor to build on so i can keep the car on the road with minimal disruption. Also because my current motor has 260 000 miles on it, probably not wise to turbo it! So first of all i gave it a good jetwash and some elbow grease.

Before

20150418_165557(1).jpg

20150418_165628(1).jpg

Many hours later, 2 cans of carb cleaner, lots more elbow grease with help from my wife and 2 coats of black enamel engine paint later.

20150426_165228-1(1).jpg

20150426_165242(1).jpg

Looks much better ☺

Dont worry cam covers will be done at a later date! Next jobs will be to tackle the dreaded drilling of the sump! More pics to follow as i get through the list of jobs. 

Edited by walkerstrider (see edit history)

Looking good :)

Might be a good idea to do a few jobs on it while it's out of the car, such as headgasket, core plugs etc. I would be tempted to chuck new/reconditioned water and oil pumps on too. :)

Cheers, not gonna bother with headgasket or core plugs. With the power i want it would be just creating extra work for myself. Will be looking into the waterpump and oil pump in the coming weeks. Just have to keep in mind the budget as im hopefully going for the complete whiftbitz kit. Funds allowing!

• 3 months later...

Right, finally an update on the build. Sorry its been a while!

Ive removed the sump and drilled the hole for the oil return. This wasnt a daunting as id expected! Cleaned and replaced the sump. Fitted a new timing belt and tensioners. Also fitted a new waterpump. Fitted the distributor and 4 runner cap.

I cant replace the cam covers just yet as the ones on my running engine are much better condition so when i remove it ill spray them ones.

Sorry no pics cant upload for some reason.

Finally figured out photo bucket! Few pics of progress Just oil lines and intake to finish before dropping it in. Using the Xs power kit, only fitment issues so far is bottom oil return off turbo and getting the 4" intake past the distributor. Think I may need to cut screamer pipe too.

That blue sealant that's oozing out. It will be doing the same on the INSIDE of the engine too. I am just rebuilding an RB26 that died of bearing failure. Cause? That cra* in the oil pick up strainer. The maelstrom inside the sump WILL cause that stuff to come away and float around the engine. Take it apart again, and use a tenth of that much, just a 2mm or so bead. Hardly *ANY* should show when it's bolted together. Sorry, but that's a disaster just waiting to happen. YouTube has a video of some guy hand assembling AMG Mercedes V8 engines, at the factory, it shows how much stuff to use quite clearly.

OK, not being negative, that is a really common mistake, and could cost you the engine if it chokes the strainer. The RB26 was fine until run hard when mapping, then the added oil flow sucked up a load of the stuff, the strainer was only flowing less than 30% of its area, and the bearings picked up. New pump, crank and rods.... :( I know it's a PITA, but easier whilst it's still out of the car.