The mkiv Supra Owners Club

BHP listed in for sale adverts

Guest Ec1202014

Guest Ec1202014

Hi all,

Just an observation. I'm coming from an Evo background and new to the Supra scene.

Looking through for sale adverts, here, pistonheads, eBay etc I notice that very, very few cars have the horse power and torque listed or if/where/who mapped the car.

Is this because Supra's don't tend to get mapped after people seem to install thousands in parts? Is there a problem mapping them? Is the ECU somehow so intelligent it doesn't need mapping on a rolling road after people swap turbos and exhausts out?

I'm not at all having a dig at any of it just really curious. I've never seen so many modified jap cars not mapped and dyno'd...

As I say, I'm from an Evo background and would actually ignore most car adverts which have this and that installed at a huge cost and huge BHP increase but haven't been mapped for the new parts! It's really intriguing, and maybe it's because the 2JZ is such a strong unit, nobody is worried about pushing past 400bhp without forging bits unlike an Evo. I don't know. Maybe it's because bolt on parts tend to give little to no problems after installation without a map. If nothing else - don't people want to know what power they're running?

Genuinely interested in the answers!

Probably just crap adverts mate. All modded supras have to e mapped(apart from bpu) mines mapped and only running 600bhp which nowadays is quite common for supras. any decent advert will tell you everything you need to know about a car. Which is usually common on here :)

A lot of TT Supras are BPU and the common consensus is that they tend to range from 400 to 430hp. They remain on the stock ecu so no mapping is required.

NA's don't really get played with much power wise and are generally at stock power.

NA-t conversions tend to be between 350 and 500hp and usually will state the power.

Single turbo conversions range from (generally) 450 upwards, and again will usually state how much power they are pushing.

Hope this helps.

Stock internals will be good for nearer 700 ponies mate. As above probably crap adverts. If you are in the market for a Supra I'd check out JM-Imports. He does some cracking cars. Supra's with around 400hp generally don't need mapped as it's just decats and and a boost controller on the stock ecu.

Guest Ec1202014

Great replies thanks guys.

I did think sub 400 wouldn't be required - and that's actually the sort of power I'm looking for. I no longer lust for massive power output these days.

I'd just like a BPU Aero top TT - although I know they're rare. I'll no doubt end up with a hard top knowing how impatient I am though. I don't mind splitters and subtle skirts but nothing as made as Veilside kits - I appreciate them but looking for something I can keep for a while that I won't grow out of! My car is draped in Carbon Fibre which I've gone off already...

agreed with what the others have replied

You may get lucky with the search as it is easier to sell an Aerotop when the weather gets nicer so you may see a few adverts creeping up - nothing better than driving with the roof off and hearing the turbos & BOV ;)

Also worth pointing out that the stock ECU is not mapable so people tend to either fit a piggy back ECU or a standlone unit.

Some people are running close to 700bhp on stock internals here! 600bhp appears to the safe bet margain. Very strong engines indeed :)