The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra costs

Guest AlexRobinson

Guest AlexRobinson

Afternoon All,

I am in the market for a supra at the moment, I have always wanted to own one however I think now is the right time.

I did post a thread over 12 months ago to say I intended on getting an aerotop and converting it to TT and manual, after taking more though and reading some more info on both the hardtop and aerotop I think the hardtop would be the best decision for me.

When looking way back then there seemed to be a lot more around however looking at them recently there are fewer around (I assume being an older car), which brings me to ask:

How much would I be looking to spend to get a fairly clean TT Manual Supra with less than 80k miles on the clock?

I thought around £6000 would have been reasonable given the cars age however looking now, there are few examples that I can find for this budget.

I am happy to pay above £6k however I want to be sure I am not overpaying what the car is worth, I don't want to get to 12-24 months down the line, and lose a margin when I come to re-sell because I paid too much when I bought it.

Any help would be appreciated. (If I have posted this in the wrong area my apologies, I thought this would be a topic for general supra chat)

Cheers

Alex

Guest AlexRobinson

Thanks for the reply guys, has there been a sudden peak in the market or reduction in people owning Supras then? I could swear they were nowhere near £10k going back 12-18 months ago.

From the research I've done on the 6 speed boxes, they are not cheap to buy as standalone boxes either.

Cheers

Alex

Thanks for the reply guys, has there been a sudden peak in the market or reduction in people owning Supras then? I could swear they were nowhere near £10k going back 12-18 months ago.

From the research I've done on the 6 speed boxes, they are not cheap to buy as standalone boxes either.

Cheers

Alex

Basically they've become accepted as classic cars now so there's more demand for the good ones.

Cheers

Alex

There has been an upturn in my opinion. There is a lack of supply and consequent prices holding and even increasing. Hard to say if it's a long term thing and strengthening in general (in which case you can't lose even paying a lot) or if its a temporary thing....

As always despite prices being firm there are still cars at the same price that are miles apart in condition and this is where you need to be careful. I'm not sure what i'd advise you to do right now, I don't think it's an easy time to be entering into Supra ownership, I'm a classifieds hawk and I haven't seen any real bargains for quite some time.

Guest AlexRobinson
Importing from Japan will be your best bet budget to quality wise. I just imported mine and it's spanking...It definitely was above 10k though.

Yeh I have asked for DCY and Torque GT to give me a rough quote and given them a rough idea of what I am looking for.

I have seen their range mind, they are quite expensive, then again the quality I seen was immaculate - you get what you pay for in this world I guess.

Guest AlexRobinson
Basically they've become accepted as classic cars now so there's more demand for the good ones.

I see, this would make sense, they have always been great looking cars for the age, still one of the quicker ones too, I guess I'm going to have to await a little to reach the £10k budget.

Just surprises me that they are now in line with M3's bottom price range now, again a desirable car I guess.

Cheers

Guest AlexRobinson
There has been an upturn in my opinion. There is a lack of supply and consequent prices holding and even increasing. Hard to say if it's a long term thing and strengthening in general (in which case you can't lose even paying a lot) or if its a temporary thing....

As always despite prices being firm there are still cars at the same price that are miles apart in condition and this is where you need to be careful. I'm not sure what i'd advise you to do right now, I don't think it's an easy time to be entering into Supra ownership, I'm a classifieds hawk and I haven't seen any real bargains for quite some time.

Yeh, I noticed when I looked around 12-18 months ago there were a few of them, even aerotops poking around for £4k, nothing clean but a great bargain with a bit of TLC and money spent, I can't seem to find anything like this at the moment other than with tacky bodykits and generally bad DIY builds interior wise.

As said, I'm not looking to buy immediately, I am more than happy to wait it out a bit, was just a little eager to get one at the start of summer.

Cheers

Edit - The £4k supras were all auto and usually N/A, I'm back pondering on the idea of buying one N/A and converting them but I've read there are some differences between N/A and Turbo models that kind of puts me off simply because of the hassle involved.

Edited by AlexRobinson (see edit history)

There's no financial benefit to buying an NA and converting it. In fact, it isn't worth it as the car will be worth less than a factory turbo car. Unless you have the work done, a

nd fully documented by someone like Chris Wilson, Whifbitz or SRD.

It will be better in the long run to save for the car you want.

I reckon a clean TT 6 speed will cost you circa £10-11k at the moment, or more for an import.

I would worry more about condition than mileage, all the cars are old now that's a given, how it's been looked after is more important.

Also if you after the bhp and the looks don't write off an NA-T, many conversions give bpu power and way cheaper than a manual TT. However you would be limited if you were trying to up the power further.

If importing, shouldn't you expect about 40% on top of the total price? That includes tax, duty, registration, etc.

I recall checking this up when looking at a TT6 in Japan for £10k-ish. Turned out getting it from Japan to my drive would have cost about £14k.

If you have that money, great. Otherwise probably best to wait for a good example to sell here.

Anyway, £10k seems to be minimum for a good example TT6 but can still be high mileage. Expect this price to increase in the coming years.

I see, this would make sense, they have always been great looking cars for the age, still one of the quicker ones too, I guess I'm going to have to await a little to reach the £10k budget.

Just surprises me that they are now in line with M3's bottom price range now, again a desirable car I guess.

Cheers

You can pick up E46 M3's from £5k and have been for quite a while now. An loads of them are avaliable for sale.

Now go look for a MKIV Supra and you'll find only a handful of them for sale, an some of the tacky ones which have been for sale for ages.

A TT6 at £10k would most likely be one that needs a bit of work but bargains do occasionally crop up.

Yeh, I noticed when I looked around 12-18 months ago there were a few of them, even aerotops poking around for £4k, nothing clean but a great bargain with a bit of TLC and money spent, I can't seem to find anything like this at the moment other than with tacky bodykits and generally bad DIY builds interior wise.

As said, I'm not looking to buy immediately, I am more than happy to wait it out a bit, was just a little eager to get one at the start of summer.

Cheers

Edit - The £4k supras were all auto and usually N/A, I'm back pondering on the idea of buying one N/A and converting them but I've read there are some differences between N/A and Turbo models that kind of puts me off simply because of the hassle involved.

Mate, I think you will find that if you were poking around 12/18 mths ago and could get an Aerotop for circa £4k it would have been a rough N/A . TBH the way the Supra is slowly going up in price to buy a N/A Aerotop in good condition you must be looking at £5k + .

I think it's about time Supras appreciate in value. It's funny how the Nissan Skyline R34 V-Spec are in the top band in terms of price, fetching for 30k.

Don't you think the top spec supras should also join that price band as well? I mean it's a 20 year old classic with a better interior too! I'm a big Skyline fan don't get me wrong, but if you look at it.. a 50% difference in market value for the very best Supra compared to the best (if that) Skyline R34.

Also can anyone confirm that only 80 or so UK Spec R34 Skylines were ever made ?

Edited by Supra2jze (see edit history)

Guest MikeyB571

I'm just about to sell my top spec UK R34 GTR V-Spec and I'll be looking way north of 30k. So you've got me thinking now about buying a supra once it's sold :) I'll be able to get a bargain.