The mkiv Supra Owners Club

First supra brought, where to start ! Looking for some opinions and advice.

krisgowing

Hello Guys.

Firstly this is my first time posting on the forum so go easy on me ;)

I've just brought my first supra which is a 1993 Supra NA auto Jap import.

I've fallen in love with this car already and have always wanted one since playing need for speed when I was younger and the fast and furious films haha.

To start with because I'm 21 (hence not having a turbo, but you've gotta start somewhere :D) and my my insurance is just reasonable enough to pay (it's around the 1200 mark :rolleyes:)) I'm not looking at doing anything to the engine or performance.

As for the styling I love the way Supra's look and i'm not fussed about playing with the styling to much as I've got her with some deep din alloys they just need a respray.

Just want some advice and realistic costs and general your guys opinion for the following:

(everything will be done professional no DIY and done to a legal standard)

Because she's a jap import she has the plastic headlights which have got the scratched look (MOT advisory) is it best to clean these up like people have posted on the forum or shall i invest in some glass ones?

The center column lights and are the speedo are looking a bit dull now so I'm thinking about having these bulbs out and replaced with leds.

Front LED's and Rear LED's , and is it a case of just changing the bulbs or is there a lot more to this process.

Someone cut around the centre consle having the double din headunit but has done this there self and not fitted properly and has no radio, worth correcting.

The alloys aren't scratched just look almost washed out from the grit salt if you know what I mean , is it worth having this done properly or just some recommended product and a afternoon of elbow grease.

At the front of the car where the grill is the face is completely exposed , do you think the open look is better or maybe look at some front grills to go in the bumper? not sure if there was any of these or was it an open space if you guys have any thoughts?

If anyone needs any pictures i can always put them up.

Look forward to hearing from you and go easy on me im a newbie ;)

Thanks , Kristian.

Hi Kristian. :)

Scott on here refurbishes headlights for people, so it would be worth sending him a PM. Glass ones are also a good option.

As for the grille, they never came with one, but a company called Zunsport make some excellent ones for the Supra. It just so happens that I have a brand new set of these in Black i am looking to sell. :)

welcome mate, post some pictures up.

Might be worth coughing up the 10£ for membership as it will give you access to info, and traders / sale section.

Head lights, these can be restored with some work (plenty of DIY guides on here) we also have a hobbyist who restores them too (you need to be paid up member to use these services), new glass headlights are well worth it, i changed to these are makes the front end amazing. From toyota there around £350/380 for the pair which is a bargain. Keron (a breaker) also sells them new / 2nd hand.

Centre console, again we have another hobbyist by the name of Heckler who can convert all the heater bulbs to LED and does it for around £100ish including the speedo. Also getting new buttons for the heaters does wonders (check my build thread out)

Front head lights I would go for HID with glass, the visibility is improved alot, as for indicator LED you will need a relay which costs about £10 to stop them flashing quick (mot fail) but all can be changed to LED. Have a search for the type of bulbs.

Alloys, depends on what they are again we have a trader who refurbs them, Speed Well alloys

No grill, search for zunsport grills for the supra, they give us 30% off that alone will cover your membership cost

Hello supra_ufo.

Some great info, just the kinda thing I was looking for.

Yes definitely , The guy I brought the supra from recommended here and the membership I've just been having to much fun with the car this weekend to do it haha :D

Yeah I saw the guides it doesn't look a bad job to do, but in the long run I'm thinking about some glass ones as they look a lot nicer to in my opinion.

That sounds good to me, I think it looks great when its all been done the lights have lasted 21 years so not to bad, I will look him up :) And sure mate I'm only at work so I will check your thread out ;)

As for the lights I agree with you and thanks for the advise I will have a look at check the bulbs , Do you have the LED ones in your Supra which btw is b-e-a-utiful!

Sure I can post some pics later after work as that maybe easier to see from.

I will have a look, do you think they look better with?

I've got some stone chips and a bit of rust around the window but my friend works for Mercedes body shop so I think he can deal with that and a good 'mates rate' as I used him for my old mazda.

Thanks for all your help guys!!

Anyone else's opinions and thoughts are welcome

Cheers dude.

I have a HID kit, LED fog lights and LED running lights and LED side indicators. I havent changed the rear ones yet.

The zunsport grills do look great, im not a fan of the silver one though, it has to be black. I have one on my car but its not very obvious but stops shit getting in, I mainly bought mine to protect my front mount intercooler.

Have a look at j_jza80's build thread too as its pretty thorough and will give you a good idea where to address possible issues.

• 2 weeks later...
Cheers dude.

I have a HID kit, LED fog lights and LED running lights and LED side indicators. I havent changed the rear ones yet.

The zunsport grills do look great, im not a fan of the silver one though, it has to be black. I have one on my car but its not very obvious but stops shit getting in, I mainly bought mine to protect my front mount intercooler.

Have a look at j_jza80's build thread too as its pretty thorough and will give you a good idea where to address possible issues.

Yeah it's payday so time to spend some of the money on the Supra,

Got the paintwork booked in for the rust spots etc and on to the alloys after that.

My supra's in silver so do you think the black grille or silver grille, Thinking of getting the whole kit so can do the front and the indicators as I've got nothing at all there at the moment.

I'm also a member so how do you apply the discount, sorry im such a newbie haha :blink:

Thanks for all your help, this forum is great.

Yeah it's payday so time to spend some of the money on the Supra,

Got the paintwork booked in for the rust spots etc and on to the alloys after that.

My supra's in silver so do you think the black grille or silver grille, Thinking of getting the whole kit so can do the front and the indicators as I've got nothing at all there at the moment.

I'm also a member so how do you apply the discount, sorry im such a newbie haha :blink:

Thanks for all your help, this forum is great.

Always a black grille, the silver looks naff

Just email zunsports and say your a member of this forum and they will give you a discount code

Always a black grille, the silver looks naff

Just email zunsports and say your a member of this forum and they will give you a discount code

Thank's , one more thing of the list of works to do.

Onto the next!!

I'll post some pics of the repairs after they have been done.

Note: apparently it's only a 15% discount got this reply.

''Many thanks for your enquiry, unfortunately we do not offer 30% discounts to any owners clubs.

When you place an order on line, please complete by stating full postal address and the price given will include the delivery cost direct to your door, if you encounter any problems please do not hesitate to contact me ''

Edited by krisgowing (see edit history)