The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New Import Rules?

mr_maj

Has anyone else heard about the change which will take place in April?

Basically all imported cars will need an SVA if registered after April this year, so the 10 year old, just need an MOT, rule wont apply anymore.

Has anyone else been informed about this?

Has anyone else heard about the change which will take place in April?

Basically all imported cars will need an SVA if registered after April this year, so the 10 year old, just need an MOT, rule wont apply anymore.

Has anyone else been informed about this?

It's news to me but then I'm not in that game. Where did you get this info?

I heard this yesterday from a guy that imports cars regularly, ive emailed VOSA and they havent yet confirmed if its true or not.

The reason why im concerned is because my supra is due to arrive around mid/end march and is over 10 years old, i do not want to be SVA'ing it! Else i would have just bought a newer model in the first place.

I hope its just a rumour!

So what your suggesting is that Although my car had its SVA test and first UK MOT done when I bought it, it now needs the SVA test done each year along with the MOT or have I miss understood what your are saying.

I don't think for one minute they could inforce an annual SVA test.. would be far to time consuming and too much hassle.

Hornet

No im not saying that Hornet, once SVA is done thats it, you dont ever need to SVA that car again.

This rule, as with all new rules, applies to newly imported hence unregistered cars. Currently cars older than 10 years are exempt from SVA, Allegedly this will change in April 2005 whereby regardless of age an SVA must be completed for fresh imports.

Again its just something an importer has told me, i have not heard anything from anywhere else.

I have my 96 car on Jap plates at the moment as i brought it back with me (road legal for 12 months as i have my Jap reg documents and Jap tax disc) i am looking at getting it SVA'd so i can register it to british plates.... I have extensively gone through every little bit of infor from the Minestry and VOSA and have not found anything relating to changing the goal poasts again. Please let me know if there is HARD facts from VOSA that i have missed.... I will need to start looking for stock bits :(

I have my 96 car on Jap plates at the moment as i brought it back with me (road legal for 12 months as i have my Jap reg documents and Jap tax disc) i am looking at getting it SVA'd so i can register it to british plates.... I have extensively gone through every little bit of infor from the Minestry and VOSA and have not found anything relating to changing the goal poasts again. Please let me know if there is HARD facts from VOSA that i have missed.... I will need to start looking for stock bits :(

am not sure what the law is if ur car is in uk with jap plates and then it wants to be registered to british plates, but if u buy from japan and ur car is older than jan 1995, u will need to sva.#

a presume u will have to still de -reg the car in japan- so in theory u still need the sva, but am not 100% sure since your car is in this country as a registered japanese car.

u may be able to try the personal import rule, this is where u have been the owner for over six months in japan then u bring the car to the uk, this could be a way of getting out the sva test but i have never heard of anybody try this method. ;)

Neo1,

Your car will need a standard SVA not ESVA, the standard SVA is slightly cheaper and not as stringent as ESVA.

You will need to produce the Jap-Dereg Docs at the SVA Center and also surrender them to DVLA when you register it.

Have you seen the SVA1 form? On the form you would tick the box that says P for personal import which then means you skip alot of the other sections.

You wont need to strip the bodykit off the car, but i think they might cause a fuss if you have modified exhaust and induction kit or anything that would affect emmisions/noise.

Please anyone correct me if im wrong with any of above info.

Still havent found out for sure if in April the 10 year rule will change or not.

Am i right in thinking that if its over 10 years old, you just need to register it and MOT it, no other docs needed? The SVA to apply to these cars then would actually make it safer for the buyer - if all the documentation from japan is required - especially the de-redg stuff it means its going to prevent us from buying possibly stolen cars!

Am i right in thinking that if its over 10 years old, you just need to register it and MOT it, no other docs needed? The SVA to apply to these cars then would actually make it safer for the buyer - if all the documentation from japan is required - especially the de-redg stuff it means its going to prevent us from buying possibly stolen cars!

u cant register the car without the de-reg docs, wheter 5 year old or fifteen years old :cool:

SVA center wouldnt know even if the car was stolen as DVLA do interpol checks before assigning a reg number, at this point de-reg must be surrendered.

All SVA center does is rip you off and argue over stupid little things just to make you pay the 30 quid retest fee, robbing ********! :mad:

• 4 months later...