The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Anybody owned a Volvo V70 awd?

LOGIE

Hi all! Im on the lookout for another family runabout. Needs to be spacious reliable and awd so a volvo v70 sprang to mind. I seen a nice low milage T5 awd auto but the more research i do the more im hearing about the awd system sounds pretty fragile... something to do with a haldex diff. Ive even read that all 4 tyres have to wear down evenly to prevent stressing the diff? Is this true? Surely volvos are better made than that or am i reading crap info?

My 2nd choice is a subaru legacy estate which doesnt have as many toys but seem like a good alternative.

Cheers

I'd go for the legacy mate. Reliability wise, provided you're not using it as a rally car and keep on top of maintenance, they're not too bad.

Volvo, on the other hand, went through a bit of a phase of producing crap. The auto boxes are made of cheese and all you mentioned above is more common than you'd think.

Id go with the subaru.

Or a older volvo with out the awd. I had a volvo as work car for a short stink as the van beeded fixing and i wabt the volvo back was lovely to drive long distance but it needed to be auto and not leather seats. I sliped alot with the seats as im a short fuy haga would much prefured a seat that huged me ans kept me in the seat not slidding down it :)

Cheers for the info guys. The volvo does look more luxurios but the subaru seems more reliable.. are the fwd manual V70s reliable then?

Sorry for my previous post using my phone abd there are so many errors and spelling mistakes....

As far as im aware in thought all v70s were rear wheel drive inless they are stated as AWD? But id say that the RWD v70`s are more reliable than there AWD counter part. one being theres less to go wrong on the RWD version.

Sorry for my previous post using my phone abd there are so many errors and spelling mistakes....

As far as im aware in thought all v70s were rear wheel drive inless they are stated as AWD? But id say that the RWD v70`s are more reliable than there AWD counter part. one being theres less to go wrong on the RWD version.

Hah i got your meaning mate... i just thought youd been drinking.[emoji12]

The AWD is indeed Haldex and the rear wheels are thus rarely driven, so not a proper 4 wheel drive set up with an active centre diff. All V70's are either FWD or all wheel drive. Unless you feel a need for the AWD set up I would say go for the FWD base model. Personally I don't buy FWD cars as I consider them fundamentally flawed, like 911's ;) The V70 is considered safe and reliable, but the newer Volvos are not a patch, build quality wise, on the last of the (proper) RWD models.

192K? That's just getting the newness worn off for a RWD white block model. Last 960 had 400K + on it, same engine, gearbox and axle, never had the head off. Current V90 is on 280K, probably due its first oil change soon ;)

100% agree, I was gutted when the transfer box failed as the car was faultless otherwise. Cleanest engine bay of any car I have had, not a single sign of oil anywhere.

If it was not for the near £2k price tag to get it fixed (new parts) I would never have sold it on. Tried 2nd hand boxes, but the 2 I bought I was dubious on fitting them as they did not look good enough to take a gamble on.