The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Carbon Rear Diffusers - what they do??

ShawnPreece

Carbon rear diffusers on a Supra I personally (along with quite a few others) think they look good but what is the actual purpose of them other than looking good? Im guessing its to do with the air flow like carbon air diverters for example holding the air into the channel of the car to go in the vent to the rear discs but I dont know what the rear diffusers are technically for?

p.s. I know the reason most people add them is for looks but just wondering the practical advantage is the car was to be driven to its full potential :)

Carbon rear diffusers on a Supra I personally (along with quite a few others) think they look good but what is the actual purpose of them other than looking good? Im guessing its to do with the air flow like carbon air diverters for example holding the air into the channel of the car to go in the vent to the rear discs but I dont know what the rear diffusers are technically for?

p.s. I know the reason most people add them is for looks but just wondering the practical advantage is the car was to be driven to its full potential :)

If they are installed PROPERLY and accurately(which I say 99.9% of Supras with them aren't), then they use the airflow to essentially 'suck' the car down lower at the rear and also make sure the airflow gets evacuated from the rear of the car in an efficient manner.

If they are installed PROPERLY and accurately(which I say 99.9% of Supras with them aren't), then they use the airflow to essentially 'suck' the car down lower at the rear and also make sure the airflow gets evacuated from the rear of the car in an efficient manner.

Ahh ok so im guessing the air that goes underneath the car would then cycle up the rear slightly and be pulled onto the top of the diffuser to pull the back end of the car down for greater grip then would it? assuming installed correctly.

They just look good :D

Totally agree :)

To look awesome :D

Search for 'diffusers diffusing the myths' iirc the thread was called that :) Some good reading

Yeah definitely :) ahh awesome il have a search for that now as will fill up my lunch break nicely :)

Search for 'diffusers diffusing the myths' iirc the thread was called that :) Some good reading

Just read it now and is very informative, thanks for pointing me towards it :thumbs:

for anyone wanting to read it click here: http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?215381-Diffusing-the-myths-(Diffuser-discussion)&highlight=diffusers+diffusing+myths

They do sod all, save make the car look a bit tacky ;) To get a diffuser to work the car needs to be VERY VERY low and flat floored, with rake on it. This one on one my Zeus Sports Prototypes gives a load of downforce, as well as the big rear wing, several hundred pounds at speed.

Edited by Chris Wilson (see edit history)