The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Adhesives

Dnk

I'm looking for an adhesive to stick a rubber seal to a painted aluminium tailgate.

The tailgate on my Range Rover was changed by the previous owner and the

rubber seal that runs along the bottom edge needs to be glued to it.

It's been stuck on with an unknown adhesive which hasn't lasted very long

hence i'm looking to remove the seal and redo it.

Any recommendations

R 002.jpg

I would highly recommend Sikaflex products, they do a range so you will need to choose the right one for your application. I used to sell Sikaflex 571 to bathroom installers, and it was in a different league to anything else available.

They have an excellent technical helpline too if you need help choosing. :)

Sealant is commonly applied to trim and badges so black silicone in a tube or cartridge would be good. I find though that once the cartridge is opened any remainder cures pretty quickly so its best to get a small tube unless you have lots to get done. the other good thing about using the silicone adhesives is they mould to the parts and can be easily removed at a future point.

I've been looking at the Sika range but nothing is specifically mentioned for sticking rubber

to a painted surface that i can see.

Their Max tack adhesive says it'll stick almost anything to anything :) and is an instant grab which

i definitely need as i don't want to have to remove the tailgate to do this really

U-Pol Tiger Seal PU Adhesive or Wurth Bond & Seal.

Provided you never EVER want to remove said seal.

We use the former to bond Lexan roof panels to safety frames, haven't had one fall of yet and the Lexan would be literally smooth as glass.

The latter would be a pricier version, but very little difference otherwise.

bodyline polyurethane, very strong stuff, will hold the rubber to aluminium. Can get it from Brown brothers from their bodyline range, or tiger seal.

Just to add, my veilside wing was stuck on with this stuff with no screws/bolts and we had to saw it off!