The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Odd bearing noise from front of engine

cainhead

Sounds kind of bearing related on one of the pulley's, as its speeds up as the engine revs. Its not constant but every 3 seconds or so get a noise like you get if a wheel is not oiled, kind of a rubbing squeak. I have got a video from my phone but not sure of the best way to upload it.

Any ideas/help much appreciated.

Check the aux belt tensioner pulley and cam belt tensioner pulley, also while your at it

check the crank pulley as they tend to separate once they get old.

Do the tipex test on the crank pulley, if the line splits as in the photo the pulley

needs to be replaced asap with an OE pulley, not a solid Aluminium one.

2011-03-07173144.jpg

worn_crank_pulley.jpg

DSCN0707.jpg

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Check the aux belt tensioner pulley and cam belt tensioner pulley, also while your at it

Do the tipex test on the crank pulley, if the line splits as in the photo the pulley

That !!^^ Definitely one of those - I've replaced all 3 in the last year!

That !!^^ Definitely one of those - I've replaced all 3 in the last year!

If the parts are all original items the car was born with i'd be doing the lot in one hit, belts and all.

Take the aux belt off first then run the engine for a short time and see if the noise

stops, if it does it narrows down your search to one of the items the aux belt

runs on, AC pump, Power steering pump, Tensioner pulley and water pump.

If the noise continues then look at the crank pulley and then the cambelt tensioner.

Even if its on the aux belt i'd still do a tipex test on the CP

Has the car got any service history showing any parts that have been changed ?

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Cheers for the advice, I did the tipex test on the crank pulley a few years ago but will give it another go. Is it the same idea with the other pulley's in terms of the test.

cheers

Edited by cainhead (see edit history)

You need to spin and feel the other pulleys for roughness and noise, a bit like you do with a wheel bearing.

The CP is in two parts and is bonded together, the rubber part falls apart after lots of miles or old age

hence the tipex test, if the line splits you know the two parts are separating

Excuse my lack of knowledge on this, but whats the best way doing that. I'm not a complete novice but I have never removed this.

Cheers

You need to take the aux belt off, push the tensioner off the belt then slip the belt off, taking note how the belt runs then you

can spin and feel how each pulley rotates

You need to take the aux belt off, push the tensioner off the belt then slip the belt off, taking note how the belt runs then you

can spin and feel how each pulley rotates

yep 14mm spanner on the aux pulley centre and have it more horizontal than vertical, pointing towards the battery and push down! the belt run is often on a sticker on the underside of the bonnet. It can be a bit fiddly to get the belt back on the first few times you do it but it's not bad really.

Well got the aux belt off, and now back on. Unfortunately is none of them. The aux tension-er is a little rough, kind of like if there was a little sand in there, so that may need changing, however still have the noise when car is running and belt is off. I took the cam cover off, and the one just below it. Noise definitely seems to be coming from in there. Is there anyway it could be the cam gears? There is a very small amount of movement whilst running in the left one. Cant quite see the tensioner, any way of uncovering it without a major job.

Any help very welcome!

If its like that change it.

I don't think there's an easy way to get at the cam belt tensioner pulley, CP off AND lower front cover

then you can get to it i think.

Okay, any ideas on best place to get one, and also the aux tensioner. its a UK TT manual. Is it best just to order from Toyota. Might do the lot. Lastly any good guides on how to do it?

cheers