The mkiv Supra Owners Club

MonkeyMark how does.....

Guest Paul Webster

...your Supra drive with that sort of stall?? Do you drive it to the Pod?? Massive oil cooler???
drives normal to me, let eyefi have a drive in it a while ago and he says its sort of feels like clutch slipping.

dont be put off by people saying a high stall is too much for road. you will find it a blast but will struggle for traction as it can light up tyres too easy.

my older 3600 stall was a bit mad launching at dragstrip just lighting tyres up. the rltc calmed it down a bit. you really need sticky rubber to get best out of them.

i just decided to give it a go. if it did not work it would be my bad choice.

worked out well i think. :zen:

Guest Paul Webster

Sorry I forgot to say congrats on an 1/4 mile efficent car and not being a trailer gueen, its easier for me as I only live 40 mins away.

Have you researched the TH400 box swop, do they machine off the bellhousing and use another one like a JW??

Looking at the price of rebuilding the Toyota one and a convertor etc I alreay have a 4000 sc for a th400 which was bult for street tyres

Sorry I forgot to say congrats on an 1/4 mile efficent car and not being a trailer gueen, its easier for me as I only live 40 mins away.

Have you researched the TH400 box swop, do they machine off the bellhousing and use another one like a JW??

Looking at the price of rebuilding the Toyota one and a convertor etc I alreay have a 4000 sc for a th400 which was bult for street tyres

The TH400 is a very strong box but will rob loads of power !!! also its only a 3 speed so youd need to fit a man diff to have any decent cruising /top speed capability .

I'll be getting boxes built shortly (my spares being taken apart as we speak) in both normal and tiptronic variants .

Dude :blonde:

Guest Paul Webster

I always wanted a 10sec towcar.......

I would guess (as I have no proof) that the TH400 loses less hp through the box than the Toyota box through having one less set of clutch packs etc etc. A powergide soaks up even less HP than a TH400 but has a 1.76 first gear which in a heavy car isn't so good unless you have limited traction capabilities.

Most Drag Radial racers in the states will run a powerglide and will be hitting 1.30s 60ft and 7.80s to 8.50s 158 to 180s, most of them will have to weigh between 3000 to 3450lb

I'm surprised you didn't go for the MT drag radials, save changing the wheels lol

was the 10.85 at shakey, congrats on a cool car, have you ever been on a fully prepared track??

I would guess (as I have no proof) that the TH400 loses less hp through the box than the Toyota box through having one less set of clutch packs etc etc. A powergide soaks up even less HP than a TH400 but has a 1.76 first gear which in a heavy car isn't so good unless you have limited traction capabilities.

Most Drag Radial racers in the states will run a powerglide and will be hitting 1.30s 60ft and 7.80s to 8.50s 158 to 180s, most of them will have to weigh between 3000 to 3450lb

I'm surprised you didn't go for the MT drag radials, save changing the wheels lol

was the 10.85 at shakey, congrats on a cool car, have you ever been on a fully prepared track??

Its run 10's at every track its been to !!! :cool: My prob was the 60ft time its allways around 2.2 secs and the 10.8 was lifting off a way before the line , the only time i ever used the NOS to spool her up it just sat on the line doing a burnout !!!!!, if id had the tyres in the pic on it would have just left real hard and who knows , this year will tell all , come say hello at a meet .

Dude :flame Dev

I would guess (as I have no proof) that the TH400 loses less hp through the box than the Toyota box through having one less set of clutch packs etc etc. .

QUOTE]

The TH400 saps MORE power than the Toyota box , prob due to the size/mass off the clutches/spraggs etc

Those MT's are 'street legal' and DOT marked !!!! :blink:

Dude :devil:

thanks

would like to see how far i can go on stock jap turbos before they let go.

seems like th th400 box can hold the power. just depends if you want your car to be a stripped out racer.

bl do a good value box for the money and they also do a top box that can handle plenty of power. the th400 box has lots of options for big torque convertors.

seen th400 boxes pretty cheap in america. think they will be standard ones. aint the ones that can handle serious power just rebuilt boxes?

the standard jap auto boxes are cheap as chips to buy as there are so many of them.

what sort of cost options is there over here for auto boxes. surley some usa shop can get hold of a th400

Guest Paul Webster

Dude are you in for a shock when that hooks LOL I remember going from a 2.0 to a 1.62 on treads it was like I was in a different car.

How strong are the Supra shafts?? a long long time ago we use to paint a line on jag irs shafts to monitor them to see if they were twisting. they usually did as well.

On a friends car not a supra we've gone 9.78 @ 138 1.48 60ft without gas on treads and 8.36 @ 162 with nos, we do have the advantage of a solid axle and a four link though, so you should be looking at low 10s high 9s depending how you manage to get the power down in that first 330ft

Also the above car still will only work on well prepared track, have you ever considered going to private test day, the only problem is with that is you'll always be disappointed on a rwyb track after attending one of them.

Have you got drag rated shocks on the car?? I've been searching the web to try and find info on how you set up a Supra rear for drag racing with no luck so far.

You'll have to let us know when you're next at the pod.

The greatest tool for hooking the car up is a good crew person who can video the car so you can watch it in slow motion and see what is going on suspension wise.

Guest Paul Webster

MonkeyMark, I've rebuilt Th350 Th400 and 2spd powergldes (at the track) and they are relatively simple, from what prices I've seen for the rebuild kits / upgrade in comparison.

I've ordered a rebuild manual from level 10 for the toyota box so I can understand whats inside/going on, I'm going to the states in march so I'll either be bringing a rebuild kit for a toyota box or a bellhousing for a toyota to a th400 LOL

Dooooohhhhhhhhhhh I've just remembered that I've got 2 fully rebuilt TH400 in a shed on a farm (Old age)

MonkeyMark, I've rebuilt Th350 Th400 and 2spd powergldes (at the track) and they are relatively simple, from what prices I've seen for the rebuild kits / upgrade in comparison.

I've ordered a rebuild manual from level 10 for the toyota box so I can understand whats inside/going on, I'm going to the states in march so I'll either be bringing a rebuild kit for a toyota box or a bellhousing for a toyota to a th400 LOL

Dooooohhhhhhhhhhh I've just remembered that I've got 2 fully rebuilt TH400 in a shed on a farm (Old age)

So if you are going by level 10 then you want the box to blow up...ask Leon how many level 10's he went through and then go on SF and se how many they have burned....just a bit of useless info ;)

Guest Paul Webster

Thanks for the useles info migster at least I only bought a manual of them LOL, In someways thats why I rather do it myself and uck it up than pay someone else. The first TH350 I done took me about a week had to remachine the clutch drum and checked everything 3x, it was reverse patten manual valve body as well save me shifting into neutral............

Dude are you in for a shock when that hooks LOL I remember going from a 2.0 to a 1.62 on treads it was like I was in a different car.

How strong are the Supra shafts?? a long long time ago we use to paint a line on jag irs shafts to monitor them to see if they were twisting. they usually did as well.

On a friends car not a supra we've gone 9.78 @ 138 1.48 60ft without gas on treads and 8.36 @ 162 with nos, we do have the advantage of a solid axle and a four link though, so you should be looking at low 10s high 9s depending how you manage to get the power down in that first 330ft

Also the above car still will only work on well prepared track, have you ever considered going to private test day, the only problem is with that is you'll always be disappointed on a rwyb track after attending one of them.

Have you got drag rated shocks on the car?? I've been searching the web to try and find info on how you set up a Supra rear for drag racing with no luck so far.

You'll have to let us know when you're next at the pod.

The greatest tool for hooking the car up is a good crew person who can video the car so you can watch it in slow motion and see what is going on suspension wise.

Paul when it has the 15's and MT's the suspension set up is totally alltered, it takes around an hour to set up , also have much stronger studs in the the rear hubs for safety , only issues with shafts etc seem to be when launching with a trans brake without loading the suspension before applying the trans brake !!!!

Dude :devil:

Guest Paul Webster

Is a UK lsd diff a torsen?? because if it is you better still be use to one wheel burnouts, I was not a happy chappy last Sunday :banghead: .

I cant afford a TRD lsd so it looks like I'm going to weld one up :eyebrows: .

Is a UK lsd diff a torsen?? because if it is you better still be use to one wheel burnouts, I was not a happy chappy last Sunday :banghead: .

I cant afford a TRD lsd so it looks like I'm going to weld one up :eyebrows: .

My stock LSD is Fine Paul , yours must have a problem :eyebrows:

Dude ;)

Santa Pod 002.jpg

Santa Pod 003.jpg

Santa Pod 013.jpg

Santa Pod 006.jpg

Santa Pod 004.jpg

Guest Paul Webster

Me thinks you could be right looking at those pics, Its defintley a torsen diff due to the fins on the underside of the carrier. the open diffs don't have that.