The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Maybe a New member

MKIV-Supra

Hey Guys,

My Name is Damien. I come Form Germany, Bavaria. At the Moment i'm driving an BMW E91 325d with 300hp/650Nm handshifted.

I love the supra since a long time. I have found now an intetesting Insert in Germany.

One Guy is selling his lovely Supra, because he needs a family Car, so i Made him an Trade Offer and i thought it's a try worth.

So after a E-Mail Conversation he said yes we could meet us in the middle of germany and look to each other car.

And now here comes now the point, i'm asking for.

This lovely Supra is a VVT-I with the tiptronic Gearbox. It's an 12/1997 with 130k KM. Was imported in 2k13 from Japan.

It's almost in Stock, the only Changes are an HKS Speed Limiter.

I've read many about the supra's but it's still don't clear for me, what's better now.

Where is the difference to an normal TT pre-facelift without VVT-I and an normal Gearbox?

How much i could maybe go with the Gearbox, when i would do an Single Conversion?

What are the differences to an 2JZ-GTE without VVT-I?

What would you do, when you were at my position? Would you do the trade?

I thought i could insert my BMW here too, but i think no one wants here so a car.

I'm sorry for my Bad english, but maybe you could answer silly questitions.

With best wishes from Germany.

Damien

And now a pic From my car, maybe some one has interest :D

Damn, that's a fine looking car. Can imagine how fun it is :) to be honest, I would think looo g and hard about the trade. Well if the supra were a manual, it would have an edge but as of now, I'm not sure :) can't really help you other than saying that prefacelift has different headlights and there's no vvti, but I'm sure others will chime in.

Hi,

Thanks! It is really a beautiful car and has cost much till it looks how now.

I wouldnt habe problems with an MT or an AT. My first car was an e36 328iA. I drive every day AT and MT.

But i would know, how the Tiptronic is.

I know the sequential gearbox from BMW the SMG 1, it was/is rubbish. The SMG 2 is better but you have to like it. I don't know how the tiptronic drives, thats why i ask for some informations :)

Hi,

Thanks! It is really a beautiful car and has cost much till it looks how now.

I wouldnt habe problems with an MT or an AT. My first car was an e36 328iA. I drive every day AT and MT.

But i would know, how the Tiptronic is.

I know the sequential gearbox from BMW the SMG 1, it was/is rubbish. The SMG 2 is better but you have to like it. I don't know how the tiptronic drives, thats why i ask for some informations :)

Have had no experience with driving a supra (manual or auto, still waiting for my manual RZ to get to me from Japan) but AFAIK, it is a normal old-school auto tiptronic and if it is anything like the one's I've had experience with (Pajero Evolution, Lancer Evolution GT-A, W211 E55 AMG) it won't be too much fun. :) It should be ok for straight line acceleration, but damn those autos can get very confused and slow when demanding control... The one on Supra can be a miracle, but I somehow doubt that :D

But that is just my general experience with older (pre-2000) auto tiptronics and there's no other option other than waiting for those people here who have both (yeah, there are some crazy folk here :D ) and learn their experience.

All I know that if I were in your position and didn't really need a car, I would sell the BMW and get a nice fresh Manual Supra imported from Japan, if that's feasible with German import legislation. Pretty sure you could get a very good example, with low mileage, bone stock or with good high quality mods for the money you'd get for that BMW :) I know people here in Georgia Would go bonkers over a turbo Diesel Manual BMW with 300HP :D That thing would easily sell for 25k Euros here, and that's more than enough for a VERY good JDM Supra. I got mine for about 14K Euros (Including every tax and import fee) from Japan and that's for a 1995 manual RZ with 74000 km on odometer AND a single Turbo already on it, including every necessary and unnecessary supporting mods. :D

I hope I made my point clear - if you want a supra and can wave bye-bye to your BMW for it AND spending some time without a car is not a problem, I'd sell the BMW and use the funds for the supra, a proper one - in manual flavor :D

Thanks for your answer. Here in germany it's not rentable to sell my car. Every money i put in, i will never See it again.

ATM is my BMW here in Germany only 10k Euros worth.

Every modification i made, i cant sell it for more. If I could sell him for more, i would do that.

Thanks for your answer. Here in germany it's not rentable to sell my car. Every money i put in, i will never See it again.

ATM is my BMW here in Germany only 10k Euros worth.

Every modification i made, i cant sell it for more. If I could sell him for more, i would do that.

:( I could swear I wouldn't see that kind of car for that amount of money on sites like mobile . de :/ As for modifications, it's like that everywhere - you could put lot's of money in a car and still wouldn't be able to get even half of the price of the parts :D

I'm afraid we have to wait for someone with more experience on the subject of Auto Supras...