The mkiv Supra Owners Club

White smoke puff and oil smell

lewis hill

Hi lads recently started to smell oil coming from exhaust when at traffic lights and get a puff of smoke come past passenger side window. Its not very thick, as soon as i see it at the window it disappears. It only seems to come once i start boosting, only seem to get one puff and thats it. I have quite a dirty sooty exhaust tip, not sure if thats making the smell once warm? Im hoping its not the dreaded turbo seals :( I have contacted lee at SRD but he is quite busy at the moment so trying to work out the problem myself. Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Lewis

Have you noticed it at all on start up?

Nope nothing at start up, I have read quite a bit about turbo seals and vss so I've been looking out for it but just trying to get more specific info. People seem to say quite heavy smoke but mine seems to disappear quickly

It does sound like a turbo seal is on its way out but there are other things you can easily check for.

Is the oil level correct in volume and colour? If it is then its not overfilled or likely to be a head gasket problem.

Worn valve guides could be another cause but that's not going to suddenly have happened.

So, I'd recon on turbo seals which is an expensive bummer.

I'm guessing your fully decatted? Basically a puff of blue smoke every time you stop at traffic lights(for instance)? If so, sounds like the turbo seal, fairly sure that's what happened to one of my TT's and one of the turbos went fairly soon after.

I believe 2nd decat only. Only had car about a month and a half. I don't see any hint of blue smoke so my guess is turbo seals?

It does sound like a turbo seal is on its way out but there are other things you can easily check for.

Is the oil level correct in volume and colour? If it is then its not overfilled or likely to be a head gasket problem.

Worn valve guides could be another cause but that's not going to suddenly have happened.

So, I'd recon on turbo seals which is an expensive bummer.

Damn! Last thing I need as car is in Bodyshop soon lol any idea of cost? Obviously varies to state of turbos etc but looking at 1k ish? :(

It'd probably be better if a mod moved this thread to the technical section. You can get uprated steel wheel (UK spec) recon turbos for around the £600 from renowned traders. I looked into it a year or so back but my ceramics just keep on turning just fine.

Mine did exactly the same, got gradually worse over a year. Then bought whifbitz hybrids, labour was around 700!

Ouch that's exiensive!! Aren't the hybrids like 1k? So they lasted okay for a year? if they fail, does it cause much damage? My first turbo car so getting used to all this technical stuff haha

Edited by lewis hill (see edit history)

I asked similar questions, they probably could of gone a lot longer, but it was annoying the hell out of me! As my only car, I'd see smoke quite regular ha.

About 1k aye.

I honestly don't know if the fail due to the seal, as its my first venture into the turbo too. My answer was to chuck money at it and hope it stuck :-)

So far so good, only had 2 weeks of driving since done tho.

I asked similar questions, they probably could of gone a lot longer, but it was annoying the hell out of me! As my only car, I'd see smoke quite regular ha.

About 1k aye.

I honestly don't know if the fail due to the seal, as its my first venture into the turbo too. My answer was to chuck money at it and hope it stuck :-)

So far so good, only had 2 weeks of driving since done tho.

Okay mate thank you for that, you was pretty much in the same boat as me lol it's my daily so don't want to risk it too much! How many miles did you do in that space of time with leaking seals?

Around 6-7k Id say. Went bpu in May last year, then couple of weeks later started to notice it. Bought the hybrids at Christmas, and finally got them fitted a month ago.

Okay thanks, pretty much the mileage I do at the moment anyway. Just wanted to know if I can run it like this for a few weeks while I save up really, you've eased my mind a bit now lol

• 1 month later...