The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Ikeya formula arms vs oem arms

Rob W

Hi guys,

I'm going to be changing front and rear upper arms in the next couple of weeks and wondered if anyone on here has had experience with the ikeya arms?

I don't know whether to go oem or get the ikeya stuff. I know they are adjustable but does anyone know what they ride like on the road rather then track?

Any information or opinions on what would be the best route to go is much appreciated :thumbs:

Hi Rob, i have a brand new pair of rear uppers (oem) on shelf if you decide to go that route...£600 the pair.

personally ive found the oem ones to be the best. all depends on how/where you are driving too...ie just for tracks etc

I was going to get the Ikeya formula but got the OEM after some research

Ikeya formula is ideal if you are racing her on track, on a public road , rose joints will take a pounding and you will spend most of your time replacing them, this also brings us onto the ride comfort , she will be noisy crashing over bumps, you wont be taking advantage of the adjustment if she is for the road

The other reservation I have about Ikeya formula is future support, if anything for some reason happens to them , you may be in a spot of bother to get replacement parts

If it is a road car, go OEM, I was in a Supra on track with OEM Suspension and Super pro Polybushed , plus it had the Chris Wilson valved Bilstein's ; she was like a go Kart, I could not believe it , soaked up the bumps ;

Unless she is a track car, save yourself at least 1K and get new OEM

I am sure you seen the video's of Bignum keeping up with exotic machinery around the Nurburgring, he is running OEM

Edited by Jellybean (see edit history)

The stock top rear arms have spherical bearings in them, not rubber bushes. A spherical bearing is a "Rose joint" without the threaded stem. The joint is encapsulated in a rubber boot to keep water out. So Ikeya rear top arms will make no difference to the ride. They are almost certainly heavier than the stock ones though, but that is offset by the (probability) that the spherical bearings alone can be renewed when they wear. I have no idea as to the quality of the bearings and ball joint in the Ikeya arms. Aerospace stainless ones are what are needed, these are very costly.

There are major issues with all the front lower wishbone poly bush kits I have seen, although removing much of the compliance from the front lower, inner bushes probably has a greater effect on handling of any bush change.

It would be relatively (note RELATIVELY) easy to put spherical bearings in both upper and lower front stock arms.

Ok thanks for the responses guys.

I'll get onto my local dealer and see if I can still got hold of the front uppers and go from there. I don't want to just replace the bushes keeping the 20 year old ball joint!

If I can't then I may have to go down the Ikeya route.

Thanks again :thumbs: