The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Value of a full Tiptronic setup?

Glanza_Mike

Hi guys,

I've been considering buying a 6 speed conversion for some time and it was always the plan before i bought my car too. I do however, really like the auto box a lot more than i thought so the other option is to do some sort of David P hybrid, i've spoken with him already about this and i'm pretty certain it will take the power i want. Obviously moving to a 6 speed will give me greater scope for future improvements if i do ever decide i want more though. And of course, i still love manual gearboxes.

I remember Jurgen saying to me when i bought the car that the Tiptronic setup is quite sought after and should be worth roughly 1k, is that correct? And if not what sort of value would you think it'd be worth? Thanks

I can't see it being worth that much imo. Would it even be compatible with anything but a vvti supra? Maybe work as a swap into a facelift NA auto with a vvti TT swap, bit the swap would be prohibitively expensive.

I'd imagine the box is worth £250 or so, the ecu maybe another £50, and the steering wheel about £40.

Tiptronic boxes are very thin in the ground, I would be holding onto it for a little while Mike, as it's only going to appreciate with time. Not as common as the Autobox.

Am I right in thinking you have the A03A open diff, or was yours treated to a LSD from the factory?

It wasn't treated to a nice LSD mate i just checked :( It says A02A so that means no LSD for me! That would be another bonus of going 6 speed as i would get the diff included.

Jason are you still planning on going 6 speed at some point or are you happy with your paddle shifters now? I remember readin originally you wanted a 6 speed single though.

It depends.

if my car continues to be a daily long term, it will stay tiptronic. Even when I go single. It is simply makes for a much better car than a 6 speed for everyday driving.

When I'm in a position to have another daily driver, I would be tempted to go 6 speed. It is undoubtedly a more involving drive.