The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hi, I hope to get some nice advice here!

Guest Drifter1977

Guest Drifter1977

Hi, I hope to get some advice here to choose a decent Supra when I return back home to the UK. The Supra is an amazing car, no doubt. But, I would like to ask about certain issues;

How is a Supra for a long drive, a travel through Europe for example? What are the most important things to check throughout such a journey? What spares would be best to take along? Bearing in mind that petrol is not an issue otherwise I would never ask.

How much is the insurance usually for a Supra?

How easy is it to find spares in the Midlands?

Are spares cheap or decently priced?

What are the common maintenance issues to check and replace and how often?

How long do the Turbos last on a Supra and how much does it cost to replace them?

Are they some Supra Mechanics in the Midlands?

Thanks.

Welcome!

A Supra is probably the best car of its era for long-distance drives. It's also super-reliable. I did tens of thousands in mine with 600bhp and nothing went wrong. Just routine servicing items, really. That's after it was set up by a team of real experts, though. You want to find a car that hasn't been buggered about with by a cowboy.

Turbos - if you don't push high boost - can last up to 300,000 miles in some cases.

The rest of your questions can be answered using the search function at the top of the page, and that's going to become your very best friend because there is more information on this site than pretty much anywhere else on the web :)

It would definitely be worth paying the £10 for full membership for a year if you're serious about buying. You'll get access to the classifieds section where all the best cars are advertised and all of the technical help and buying guides you'll need. Plus, you'll find out which traders are in the Midlands :D

How is a Supra for a long drive, a travel through Europe for example? very comfortable and a pleasure

What are the most important things to check throughout such a journey? same as any car really

What spares would be best to take along? oil water and a basic tool kit

How much is the insurance usually for a Supra? need more info about yourself for this, im 27 and have a modified uk 6 speed single turbo and I paid £840 with mods declared

How easy is it to find spares in the Midlands? easy enough, you have Keron (extreme performance) only in Leicester who always has spares or there are other traders here on the forum too

Are spares cheap or decently priced? A supra is an expensive car for spares but I haven't noticed a huge difference to equivalent cars on prices

What are the common maintenance issues to check and replace and how often? There is a very good list of things to check when buying one here http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?67644-What-to-check-when-buying-a-Supra general maintenance is similar to any performance car when it comes to changing oil and cambelts etc...

How long do the Turbos last on a Supra and how much does it cost to replace them? Standard turbo's are pretty strong and last a long time (depending what boost you run them on of corse) replacements come up in the for sale section every now and again from people going single and only usually a few hundred so nothing major

Are they some Supra Mechanics in the Midlands? you have Keron in Leicester and Chris Wilson in shropshire, think SRD are midlands area too but someone else will have to confirm that

Welcome to the club I hope you find the Supra you want and gain all the information you need off the site :)

Guest Drifter1977
Welcome!

A Supra is probably the best car of its era for long-distance drives. It's also super-reliable. I did tens of thousands in mine with 600bhp and nothing went wrong. Just routine servicing items, really. That's after it was set up by a team of real experts, though. You want to find a car that hasn't been buggered about with by a cowboy.

Turbos - if you don't push high boost - can last up to 300,000 miles in some cases.

The rest of your questions can be answered using the search function at the top of the page, and that's going to become your very best friend because there is more information on this site than pretty much anywhere else on the web :)

It would definitely be worth paying the £10 for full membership for a year if you're serious about buying. You'll get access to the classifieds section where all the best cars are advertised and all of the technical help and buying guides you'll need. Plus, you'll find out which traders are in the Midlands :D

OK, great, nice advice. So if you don't mind me asking, please explain more about some experts that set up your Supra. Their location, and contact details and costs for what you had done. That way I can make sure I have enough of a budget before looking for a Supra. Of course I will read the PDF posted on the Forum about what to look for when buying. But need advice on how to and from where and what is set up and roughly how much it would cost to get it set up by experts. Thanks.