The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Minimum head clearance? HR/H&S type question.

Ian C

Alright dudes, work is moving the office location in a couple of months, and I've heard the ceiling is pretty low there, about 2.2meters. I'm 2 meters tall so to me that sounds rather claustrophobic and unpleasant :( I know there is a minimum 11m3 of space per person required in an office, but I can't find anything about a minimum head clearance. Is there such a thing? Or is it a case-by-case basis? I also heard that the light fittings protrude, which sounds even worse. Surely I can't be told I just have to lump it if I'm having to stoop constantly or keep hitting my head/getting burned by lights?

-Ian

Regulation 10 of the Workplace (health safety and welfare) regulations 1992, require that sufficient head room (floor to ceiling) is provided to enable safe access to workstations for most of the room.

The exception would be for short duration working but that would still need to be risk assessed with the above under access and egress.

2m tall here too so I feel your pain! I walked into my local garage's new premises on Saturday after they moved in and about knocked myself out on every door frame in their office area. They were about 195cm off the ground at most. Roofs weren't much better, small jump and I could have touched them with my head I reckon.

So either they are in breach of the law or there isn't really anything to ensure there is a minimum height for roofs and doors etc :(