The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Getting new car how does tax work now

The Raven

so the wife is getting a car from a dealer 70 miles away at the weekend. How does road tax work now I understand it won't be transferred but then how do I get it home? I can't tax it on the phone they will get the v5 and refund the money I paid to the old owner?

Advise please

Just do it online, the dealer will probably do it for you, just pay on your debit card.

The DVLA will automatically refund you any tax owed back to you (full months) from the date you signed over the new keepers section (make sure the dealer sends it asap, that's if you're selling of course)

No because when they receive the V5 it will have the signed date of transfer of ownership (which you fill in)

When you tax the car it will be on your details.

Tax it on-line at the dealers, as I said they will do it for you more than likely.

The older owner will only get full months refunded back to them, it takes a few weeks of which DVLA will know about you buying it, plus your details on the new tax

If the old owner will allow it, drive home on their tax and then agree a date when it is cancelled. That was what I did when I bought the Zed as it made no difference to original owner as he couldn't get a refund as the month had already started.

If the old owner will allow it, drive home on their tax and then agree a date when it is cancelled. That was what I did when I bought the Zed as it made no difference to original owner as he couldn't get a refund as the month had already started.

Tax doesn't work like that anymore, as soon as you buy a car, the tax in invalid.

The car might be taxed but legally it's not, as you didn't tax it.

It's a big scam really, paying twice for the tax, but it's how it is.

I'm confused. The dvla won't get the change of ownership until the post delivers it. So if I tax it before then won't they think it's old owner taxed it and refund them when the v5 turns up. The car is already taxed

I was in this situation 3 weeks ago. But I figured as I bought the car that was taxed on the Saturday, then there was no way the guy I bought it from could notify DVLA until the following week. I looked online and you cant actually cancel the tax, (unless I missed it) but you can obviously cancel your DD with your bank, but then the only way DVLA could know that is when they try and take the money, and that's unlikely to be the day you buy it.

I bought the car on the Saturday and on the Tuesday the following week I taxed it in my name using the reference number on the V5C. What is interesting though is that they seem to have their act together in regards of change of ownership and V5 issue, I had the V5 back with me in under 3 weeks. Maybe as I taxed it online using the V5c they automatically issued the new V5 as soon as the seller notified them.

Wouldn't worry too much if the car is already taxed, ask the dealer when he is going to notify change of ownership once you have done the deal and collect. Bear in mind its by post normally so is not going to be instant.

Tax doesn't work like that anymore, as soon as you buy a car, the tax in invalid.

The car might be taxed but legally it's not, as you didn't tax it.

It's a big scam really, paying twice for the tax, but it's how it is.

Agreed but it was a way of me getting the car back up north without getting picked up by an ANPR camera. I then stored the car for a couple of days and taxed it at the beginning of March. Worked for me. As it is the end of the month I thought the Raven could do the same.

H.

I've bought a few cars recently, just turn up, do the deal, then log onto the dvla website through your phone (assuming you have a smartphone with internet access) and put the 11/12 digit new keeper number into the box and tax it there and then via debit card etc.

You will get an email conformation straight away.

Failing that, use the dealers pc to log on.

Easy and hassle free.

The dealer can do it, depends who it is.

If its a franchise for a well known manufacturer (VW or something) then the DVLA have a digital service available to car dealers to allow the car to be taxed so it can be driven away, they just fill a form out online and its done. That's how they can still advertise cars with like 12 months tax free as they knock the price of the tax off the car and use your card details to pay through this system.