The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hi all - Advice needed

craig85

Hi all,

I've been shopping for an R32 GTR Skyline for a while now but nothing that's been coming up matches what I want and my budget (it must be black, I only drive cars that are black and sometimes very, very dark grey). I've just sold a 2006 MINI GP and I'm looking for a car with good power potential and a decent social scene, so Japanese classics are the way to go

Whilst spending many hours on Japanese auctions and import sites I've started to fall in love with the idea of a Supra (more comfortable, more reliable on stock internals, simpler drivetrain etc.) and I've started reading up on them and looking into what's available.

I've found a black one with a Veilside kit on Pistonheads and I'm thinking of going to have a look as it seems well sorted, with good paint and bodywork; but I'll be completely honest and say I'm probably out of my depth on this one when it comes to what to look for. The guide on here was a fantastic start but the modifications could throw me here. Compared to others I've been looking at it does seem expensive (though I could make some money back by removing the boot install!), but it seems well looked after and comes with a few k's worth of Whifbitz invoices from last year.

Is there anything additional that I should look into when buying a modified car?

Thanks for reading!

If you post up the link the Intelligentsia will be able to give you more appropriate suggestions as to what you should be looking for and questions to ask after reading what's been done to the car. The fact it has the Veilside kit on worries me straight away!! :innocent:

Its pricey because its a tidy, 6 speed car with a good history from reputable garages. Thats pretty valuable in itself.

The only thing Id be concerned about personally is, how does it look underneath, how does it drive.

Also whats with the only driving black cars thing? Just curious....

Just cosmetic changes for me - wheels and front bumper offend me aesthetically but the rest of the car is sweet.

Price is what it is - when we sell we say they're too cheap and values should be higher yet when we're buying we say prices are too high and unrealistic! Prices are negotiable anyway.

Spec is impressive.

Thanks for the advice, I'm pleased to say that I am now a very proud Supra owner!

I've given the car a once over today to inspect the paint in preparation for a full polish and sealing in the next week or so (it needs it badly!)

I've also started what will be a long list of all the little bits and pieces that I want to sort out and fix

Thanks for the advice, I'm pleased to say that I am now a very proud Supra owner!

I've given the car a once over today to inspect the paint in preparation for a full polish and sealing in the next week or so (it needs it badly!)

I've also started what will be a long list of all the little bits and pieces that I want to sort out and fix

Did you buy the veilside one in the end? Hope you've joined the veildarkside :eyebrows:

I'll be swapping out my veilside front bumper too as I agree it's not aesthetically pleasing at all.

Yeah, it was very clear it was well looked after so ticked all the right boxes. The bumper had to go, but I'm torn on what to replace it with so I'll probably wait and see what comes up on here. What are you swapping the Veilside for?

Yeah, it was very clear it was well looked after so ticked all the right boxes. The bumper had to go, but I'm torn on what to replace it with so I'll probably wait and see what comes up on here. What are you swapping the Veilside for?

I was interested to hear what you were swapping it for. I still haven't decided... It's going to be a tough choice to find something that goes with the rest of my kit :(

I've only got the front bumper so it just doesn't fit with the rest of the car for me, too many edges and too aggressive.

I say all this, I'll probably have it for at least a year as I am now skint and have loads of little jobs to fix first