The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Front number plate rules

Chris6t9

What's the rules on on front plates these days. I know they can't be too small and the lettering has to be X mm high blah blah but I see people driving around with no front plate at all.

Had a civic infront me this morning and at the lights with no front plate and a police car in front of him. He did nothing.

I prefer going without a front plate, or one in the window. Can I get away with this? Is anyone on here doing it?

your average police officer won't bother pulling you if your number plate is in the front window. Things like popped bulbs, number plates not confirming to legislation or other 'trivials' are usually ignored unless there's a few of them indicating that the car might not be road worthy - then they'd pull you and give your car a going over, check if it's MOT'd and so on. But it's always best abiding to the law to avoid any hassle, even if it's a case of them pulling you to give a friendly warning.

My personal opinion is leave it as it is. It just looks a bit stupid having a bumper with two screw holes in the middle and a number plate in the window. Just looks like it's fallen off

Im currently having my front plate on the windshield and didn't have any problems for months driving in front of police cars and everything until last weekend I was stopped by a police officer on foot. He did a check on the vehicle and didnt give me a fine as I told him that it fell off and im planning to put it back on, but now I think I will have to put it on.

Cered, reason being is that my current plate is very illegal and small and only stuck on with double sided tape. I got the car last year and wasn't really driving it long till I sorn it over the winter. Now I'd rather drive round with a plate in the window and never get pulled than this tiny one to get pulled every 5 min getting fines lol.

I'm just about to get it back on the road so thinking maybe putting it in the window.

What's the rules on on front plates these days. I know they can't be too small and the lettering has to be X mm high blah blah but I see people driving around with no front plate at all.

Had a civic infront me this morning and at the lights with no front plate and a police car in front of him. He did nothing.

I prefer going without a front plate, or one in the window. Can I get away with this? Is anyone on here doing it?

I have had my number plate on the dash for 4 years now and have not got pulled but i only really go to shows or nice drives on a sunny day, im sure if i drove around town at night it would be a different story

The way i see it, if its not 100% be ready to get pulled... some police are just fed up with people playing around with plates and will go out of there way to fine you

Who does a front plate like the UK one but jspec sized lettering?
Bear in mind that an "import" size plate won't necessarily keep you off plod's radar. :)

Strictly speaking, you can only use a small plate if the design of the car's bodywork doesn't allow a standard plate to fit.

Number Plates is a funny old game.

Firstly, there seems to be a tendency for Police to turn a blind eye to 'super cars' with no number plates (Supra is super so just have to take that risk :D) some don't even display the plate in the front window!

Secondly, it all depends on the police officer. I've spoken to a few regarding 'spacing' at the recent gumball meet in Birmingham he wasn't too bothered the plate I had was spaced 'RS6 4VNT' & so yeah plates like this on cars like ours seem to get away with it more than say if it was on a Fiat Punto :Pling:

Maybe the best solution is to get a number plate flipper like Ric has done for his ridox front, that's what I'll be doing

Does seem like lots are getting away with it, maybe they have become a bit more relaxed with it all now.

And thanks kendos I'll check this out!