The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Shimless Buckets

Jamesc183

Anyone converted to shimless buckets on here? I understand they are to reduce stress on the reciprocating parts of the valvetrain/springs, since with much less mass it is easier to rev higher without valve float and when using high lift cams you eliminate the possibility of spitting out a shim while reving high.

I'm looking to do this and add the GSC S2 Cams. Anyone comment/experiance on how the car runs after doing this?

Thanks!

Guest Sausage

I'm lost on this I thought supra tt's was Shimles ?? Never stripped one to no. I just no the shimless buckets fit the st205 gt4 head as an upgrade and advertised as supra ones.

There was a thread not to long ago re shimless buckets etc. In short they are not needed unless you are revving crazy high (8500rpm+) with extreme cams. GSC S2 will be fine without shimless buckets @8500rpm :)

Thanks for clearing that up! I was told they wouldn't work without shim less buckets. This makes life easier! [GRIN][/GRIN]

No mention of needing shimless buckets in the blurb, and at such a low lift I would imagine the ramp profile is tame and unlikely to try and flick out an on top biscuit shim. They are still a fairly wild cam for road car engine, I would expect them to make a big turbo even more laggy:

Description

Stage 2- S2 Camshafts are designed to increase peak power on engines with upgraded turbo setups larger than 70mm. These camshafts are designed to increase air flow at higher rpm in 750-1000whp applications. They promote a flatter and broader torque curve and depending on the turbocharger, have proven to pick up 60-100whp gains. The RPM range that these cams are designed to improve is 4000-8500rpm. A valvespring upgrade is required when using these cams. We offer a single spring upgrade that can be used with the factory retainers, or a full dual spring and retainer kit for high rpm abuse. The idle is rougher than stock with these cams.

Manufacturer Description

GSC Power-Division S2 cams for the Toyota Supra 2JZ-GTE. The S2 cams are designed for those running a large single turbo, larger than 71mm. These cams will not have bottom end losses over our S1 cams; nothing but gains will be seen and will promote great peak power gains. Gains of 60-100whp (depending on Turbo) have been seen by simply bolting the S2 cams in and reshimming. Designed for a rev range of 4000-8500rpms, these cams require upgraded valve spring, but can be run on stock cylinder heads. 800-1100whp camshaft set with a ruffer than stock idle.

S2 Specs gsc-6030S2

Intake 274 Duration 10.20mm peak lift, 109 degree Centerline

Exhaust 274 Duration 10.20mm Peak Lift, 119 degree Centerline